setting up remote access

aspnetguy

I have a small network at home with a wireless d-link router.I have 2 PC I want to grant remote access to (192.168.0.100 and 101)101 is my webserver and currently if I type my IP address all requests go to 101. How would I configure my router or setup up a domain name that would give me a choice of which PC to log into...even if I had to have different port numbers for each PC that would be fine.

Lets say your global(public) IP address is 71.7.150.39.Right now you are saying that you have your D-Link set up to pass requests for 71.7.150.39 to be channeled to 192.168.0.101. That means that you have already gone into your D-Link administrator to let that happen. In that sxmae area you should be able to define another passthrough, just (as you seem to suspect) defined the ports accordingly.So you would end up with this:71.7.150.39:80 = 192.168.0.101:8071.7.150.39:81 = 192.168.0.102:80As you know port 80 is already the default port for the webserver, so the first line could be typed in a browser as either 71.7.150.39 or 71.7.150.39:80. Now, if your DNS record is pointing your domain name to 71.7.150.39, then you should be able to get this result:aspnetguy.com:80 = 192.168.0.101:80aspnetguy.com:81 = 192.168.0.102:80Of course, depending on what you are doing, you might just assign a subdomain to 71.7.150.39:81 so you only have to type dev.aspnetguy.com.I'm pretty sure this would work - each DNS registrar and hosting service does things differently so you might run into an issue here or there.

Are you talking about web access or Windows Remote Desktop access? I do a lot with Remote Desktop Connection, it is very convenient and it is something that Microsoft pretty much got perfect. It is standard with Windows XP, and it uses Terminal Services to operate. If you haven't used it yet, and you want to be able to access a computer remotely as if you were sitting in front of it, the first thing you need to do is go to System Properties, Remote tab and give a certain user remote access (they need a password set up as well). Once a user has remote access (and you checked the box to allow remote connections), you need to do the same with port forwarding to send requests to that machine. RDC listens on port 3389. On the clients you are connecting from, the client is built-in on XP under Programs -> Accessories -> Communication -> Remote Desktop Connection. For other OS's, do a Google search for "remote desktop client" and you can install it yourself. At one place I work, we have the router forwarding various ports to different machines, so you should be able to give the client a port when you connect, such as 1.2.3.4:123 for IP 1.2.3.4 port 123. Even if you only have it set up at home, it is worth it just to be able to access a server or anything else from wherever you are.

I am talking about RDC. I have used a lot before I got my router but haven't set it back up since. I tried it out a few days ago and realized that I had set the router to forward all port 80 stuff to my webserver and have all other ports closed.I didn't realize it was as easy as just setting up another port to forward to another PC on the network.