GIF file problem

Guest Long Live Taiwan

Guest Long Live Taiwan

I'm a newbie learning HTML. When I practice creating html files in a folder on my hardrive I can successfully get jpeg or png image files to show up, but for some reason GIF images always don't work. It doesn't matter if its in the local folder or somewhere else. I figure it must be a simple problem, can some tell me why this is happening? Thanks

You may need to check that you are using the right extension, because it has to be exact.Some problems that may occur:Using .jpg when your image is .jpeg or visa versa.or...You may be using any of the following:JPEG with jpegJPG with jpgGIF with gifPNG with pngIt is case sensitive you see, it is also the same with .htm, .html, and many others.Has this worked?Edit: It is also worth noting that htm and html are not intercangable as with jpg and jpeg.

holmed, what you are saying seems wrong to me...jpg and .jpeg are both accepted, also they can be either all caps or all lowercase..Also, .htm and .html are the same exact thing, but when the .htm extension came out they shortened it to the standard for that time, which was 4 characters, the first being a period. They are both accepted as a standard, and unless someone changes the setting for it they will stay that way.

holmed, what you are saying seems wrong to me...jpg and .jpeg are both accepted, also they can be either all caps or all lowercase..Also, .htm and .html are the same exact thing, but when the .htm extension came out they shortened it to the standard for that time, which was 4 characters, the first being a period. They are both accepted as a standard, and unless someone changes the setting for it they will stay that way.
Im not saying they are different, I am just saying that when coding, you have to use the same one when linking to it. Do you get me? And when inserting a picture, the extention has to be exactly the same, so it has to be the same case and not .htm when the file really is .html, do you see what im saying?Personally I use .html, .jpg and I never use uppercase extensions, to aviod any confusion.