Raise a "File Download" Dialog Box for text file

ramanjaneyulu

Hi How To Raise a "File Download" Dialog Box for text file in php page.I have the following link in php page.<a href="downloadfile.txt" >downloadfile</a>if I click this link it's opening in the browser itself.but our requirement is, it should open the file download dialog box.Thanking you,

You will need to create a PHP page to send specific headers such as these:header( "Content-Type: application/octet-stream" ); header( "Content-Length:" . filesize( $path ) ); header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$filename" );Where $path and $filename contain the path to the file and the name you want the download box to show. Once you send those headers, use file_get_contents to send the contents of the file itself.

I have the links to the text file like this.<a href="File1.txt" >DownloadFile1</a><br /><a href="File2.txt" >DownloadFile2</a><br /><a href="File3.txt" >DownloadFile3</a><br /><a href="File4.txt" >DownloadFile4</a><br /><a href="File5.txt" >DownloadFile5</a><br />So if I click any of the link, it has to open the file download box.So my questions. According to your suggestion we need to read each file.Is there is any other way to over come this problem.

<a href="download_file.php?file=File1%2Etxt" >DownloadFile1</a><br /><a href="download_file.php?file=File2%2Etxt" >DownloadFile2</a><br /><a href="download_file.php?file=File3%2Etxt" >DownloadFile3</a><br /><a href="download_file.php?file=File4%2Etxt" >DownloadFile4</a><br /><a href="download_file.php?file=File5%2Etxt" >DownloadFile5</a><br />The download_file.php script needs to read the filename from the querystring and do what I described above.

Hi Thank you so much, I used the following code according your suggestions its working fine.I have one question. Is it any problem if the file size is big? (10MB)$FileName = $_GET["DwnFileName"];header( "Content-Type: application/octet-stream" ); header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$FileName" );$Path = "FielPath";$Filename_Path = $Path.$FileName;$FielContents = file_get_contents($Filename_Path);print "$FielContents";