RDP/VPN auto login

aspnetguy

I was asked today to write a program that will have a central database that will manage the usernames and passwords of the remote servers our company supports.My boss wants me to create a client app that allows a technician to see a list of our servers (from DB) and to be able to click on the server and have it auto login.This app will have an admin backend that will allow my boss to turn on/off want servers each tech can connect to. the point is to have the passwords remain secret so every tech doesn't have a list of usernames and passwords and we wouldn't have to change all the passwords (hundreds) everytime an employee is fired or quits.Is this possible. Some of the servers use RDP to login and some use VPN. Also some of the servers are 2003 and some are 2000.Any advice and/or guidenece would be much appreciated.

That's a tough one. You might want to look into Remote Desktop Web Connection, which connects through an ActiveX control, but the password thing is the sticker. It seems like no matter what you do, the password will still need to be sent to the server, so the client can always use some method to figure out what it is. You definately don't want servers not requiring a password for obvious reasons. In fact, that's not even an option for RDC. It almost seems like it would be easier to create an application to automate adding and removing user accounts on the different servers, but then you're getting into some pretty serious COM programming most likely. But I think that having them click on a server and get access is probably a no-go, I'm not sure if you can even send a password to the server, but if you can, it will be nearly impossible to hide it from the client. I mean, he could just log in and change it.

This definately not going to be a Web App but a desktop app that can be placed on each technicians laptop. Surely there must be a way to simulate the RDP dialog that popups up when you choose it from the Start menu.Anyway, hopefully I can get some more info fromt he other forums I posted on too and I have a tonne of research to do.I guess I should have said I will be using C#.

After doing some research I found an open source C# RDP client that should prove very useful.It is looking more and more like I will have to write my own RDp client (or mod the one I found) to get the results I want.Another question, is it possible to modify Active Directory through an RDP connection (programmatically)?