w3 Schools quality?

jbirdAngel

Hello,there are some irc chatrooms that say that w3schools doesnt teach properly in that it gives false and/or wrong information, from the fact that there are these forums and people who like it, im wondering if this is the case or ? i found w3schools and liked it and was using its html tutorials and then found out it was a bad source so went elsewhere, so wondering peoples thoughts on this?thanks - jason

Who says they don't give accurate info? Let him/her point the inaccurate info out, so it could be corrected.There are things W3School misses though. Some tutorials are too plain, when more info is to be expected. However, they only do that so you can grasp what's already there. You wouldn't like too much info at once, without assimilating it, right? Everything that's not mentioned in the tutorials can be found in the references.This excludes few things, but such missed things are not that hard to learn by other sources, once you know the main picture.

they did had a link to a webpage to something to do with flash i think, when i started using w3schools tutorials prior to hearing that it wasnt nice, i liked it and thought it was helpful, but then hearing the info was bad didnt continue.it however seems there is a user base that isnt small, and if they had bad info i would imagine people would find out about it and then stop using it, as either what the tutorials show works or it doesnt, and if its working for all of you it probably works.perhaps they feel the w3 name is deceptive as i think my thought was it was done by the w3, but atleast by the name it would suggest to me that if i followed what the site shows then i would have all valid and corret code, is this correct?thanks - jason

Having a valid and neat code is totally up to you. It's a matter of culture and experience. W3Schools can't teach all the principals.W3Schools and W3C are not related in any way. The name "W3" is abbreviation for "World Wide Web" and as you can see, it fits perfectly to "World Wide Web Schools" and "World Wide Web Consortium". It's not "reserved" in any manner, so there's nothing wrong in using it.I know the Flash page you're talking about. The code is not valid, but W3Schools hasn't said it is. Infact, they also have theese two notes:

Note: This is the minimum code you need to embed a Flash movie in a browser. A broken icon will appear on the Web page if the user does not have the Flash plug-in installed.Note: In the code above there is both an <embed> tag and an <object> tag. This is because the <object> tag is recognized by Internet Explorer, and Netscape recognizes the <embed> tag and ignores the <object> tag.
The first note is not misleading. That is truly the minimum code you need to make the code work across browses. Other techniques requre more code to work across browsers, or as Flash Satay requre an extra file.The second note is not misleading either. Dispite the fact that <object> is the standart element, Firefox and Opera use <embed> instead. They understand some objects, but not all. It's kind'a ironic those same browsers are known as "standart compilant".

well- i think here is the perfect place to learn. plus, u have forums where u can go and ask for help.i personally started using the css tutorials here a few weeks ago. i have now built my first css site. it may not be perfect, but for a first try- i feel good about myself.http://tester-page4.ebdadventist.org/still under development (most links not functional as yet)i am planning on starting their php tutorial next week. so, for me- here does the job! :)