Search Form

Obsessed with Coding

A simple HTML search form would be like

<form method="post" action="search.php"><input type="text" name="term" id="term" value="Enter search keyword"> <br /><input type="submit" value="Search"></form>

for the actual search processing you shoud use PHP

Building a search engine can be quite a bit of work and I agree that you'll need PHP (or C#/VB and .NET) as well as a database. SQL Server and MySQL both allow FREETEXT searching on the database which can make finding results much easier.Here are a couple resources that might help (or cause great confusion :) )How a Search Engine WorksPopulating a Search Engine with a C# Spider

building a searchengine like google or others is not possible through PHP and MYSQL, you need to go for .net or java with oracle as backend.

A simple HTML search form would be like
<form method="post" action="search.php"><input type="text" name="term" id="term" value="Enter search keyword"> <br /><input type="submit" value="Search"></form>

for the actual search processing you shoud use PHP

Yes that's the part I know, but what would then go in "search.php"? That's where I get lost.
Isn't there jut some simple code that you could use that will search your site and then cough up the results?
That's the kind I'm looking for, I'm not building a whole search engine :)

building a searchengine like google or others is not possible through PHP and MYSQL, you need to go for .net or java with oracle as backend.
That would be wrong, it is very possible to create a search engine like google with PHP and MySQL!Dcole actually is making one right now, I think he just has several bugs to sort out. His site is at dcole.ath.cx, but im not sure if its all the way up yet.

Yea and no...it can be done but it will not be as fast as google. Google most likely uses C or C++ on the backend to get the speed.I have created a spider in C# that crawls URLs much like Google (not nearly as good tho).Since you need to search the files you will have to open up each of the files you need to search and search for the keywords. The C# function is IndexOf(), I thinkt he php equiv is strpos() but I am not 100% sure.