using colspan and rowspan?

lister

I have been asked by our teacher to create a basic table which has rows and columnssome rows and columns span accross using the colspan or rowspan.here is the example:http://www.twistedjunkie.eclipse.co.uk/example.pdfI have manged to apply the code and get the table to workusing the code below, could someone tell me if I have donethis right? It does work, but as I'm a newbie I did get stuckon the last row/rowspan.....<html><head><title>Table Assignment</title></head><table border="1" width="400"><tr><td>1</td><td>2</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">3</td></tr><tr><td rowspan="2">4</td><td>5</td></tr><tr><td>6</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">7</td></tr><tr><td>8</td><td>9</td></tr><td rowspan="2">10</td></tr><tr><td rowspan="2">12</td></tr><td>11</td></table></html>thanks for your helplister

ok, pretty much its this:colspan -- if one row of your table has 2 columns, and the next one has 1 then the bottom row will only show one small column that stops where the first column of the first row does. So you end up with something like this:

|_ROW 1 COLUMN 1_|_ROW 1 COLUMN 2_||_ROW 2 COLUMN 1_|________________|

See how there is just a big blank space you dont want, well on row 2 column one if you wanted it to stretch across those 2 columns you would add colspan="2' and the result would be this:

|_ROW 1 COLUMN 1_|_ROW 1 COLUMN 2_||_________ROW 2 COLUMN 1__________|

Now for rowspan:pretty much same principle except for instead of going across however many columns, it goes down however many rows. So if you had this:

|_ROW 1 COLUMN 1_|_ROW 1 COLUMN 2_||_ROW 2 COLUMN 1_|________________|

and you wanted ROW 1 COLUMN 2 to stretch down and be in line with ROW 2 COLUMN 1 also you would add rowspan="2" and the result would be this:

|_ROW 1 COLUMN 1_|_ROW 1 COLUMN 2_| |_ROW 2 COLUMN 1_|				|

and the text ROW 1 COLUMN 2 would be centered in the middle there. :)

Your code seems to be alright to me, there were a few things that I noticed, they were that you havn't used a body code and you had missed out a tr tag, but appart from that it is fine.You could use nested tables to achive the effect that you want instead of using row and col span, here is an example of a nested table:

<table border="1"><tr><td><table border="1"><tr><td>1</td></tr><tr><td>2</td></tr></table></td><td>3</td></tr></table>

If you like I will post the code for the table you want to make using nested tables?