What's the Responsibilty of the Web Designer?

ible-white

i was wondering--> how do u guys charge to design a website for a client? not for the design itself.ok- what i mean is this- when doing a website, is it your responsibilty to type out the content (information displayed)? or is that the responsibility of the client. if u have to do it- does it come with a separate charge? also, is your duty to proof read the content for mistakes such as grammatical errors?

ok- thxi just read through the entire thing- but it did not answer my question though.i am not asking how much web designers charge. all i want to know is if the client's information to be placed on the site is not typed out (in soft copy), if its the job of the web designer to do that. or should the designers job just be to do the actual coding and no more. or is there a separate charge for such.thx

ok- thxi just read through the entire thing- but it did not answer my question though.i am not asking how much web designers charge. all i want to know is if the client's information to be placed on the site is not typed out (in soft copy), if its the job of the web designer to do that. or should the designers job just be to do the actual coding and no more. or is there a separate charge for such.thx
I'm not quite sure I understand you question, so I'll try to explain things like this:First, understand that the responsibilities of any one person on a job should always be defined in some shape or form by the vendor - a client requests a proposal and the vendor supplies it and states (in there) what they are going to do - essentially their responsiblities. Now, if you are involved in the vendor side of things (being an employee or contractor) then your job description or contract should also dictate that - overall or as each job comes in.Having said that, I'm not sure the term "web designer" is the correct term. A web design is the work done to layout the site structure and functions. A graphic designer is one who develops the images that are used to create the user interface. The web developer is the person who writes the code that meets the design using the graphics.Now, if you are asking who's role is it to put the content into the site - that should be arranged before the job starts. I, typically, include it in my estimates. The estimate will have a cost associated with a due date and then a "penalty" for late submissions - clients are notorious for never delivery content on time. Then, I have a drop dead date - I get money with or without content supplied - their (expensive) loss. This is not mean, its just financial motivation.So, I think the answer to your question is, it is a seperate charge. I charge about 3/4 of my coding fee for content management.

I'd say they were two separate tasks. How is a web designer to know what content the client wants/needs on the website? If the client wants you to include copy, then I would suggest that be a separate charge.

ok- get ya.thx.===========================ps. it's not that u have to find the content for the client. instead, its about if the content is given to u on paper and u have to type it "all" out (especially if it is plleeennntttyyy!!!!!) :)thanx

its about if the content is given to u on paper and u have to type it "all" out (especially if it is plleeennntttyyy!!!!!) :)thanx
I would never.... ok... maybe not never, but the fee will have to be VERY VERY large. I'm not going to say a number though, cause what I consider a high fee is a middle size project for the rest here :) .

this is why it all depends on how a contract is written - between you and a vendor. simply put, its a job and everyone shuld get paid for any job they do - whether its you or not. Nothing is "included" in an estimate if its not accounted for in the estimate unless you plan on running yourself in the ground.Technically speaking, no it's not the developer role, its the copywriters role. But, these days, there are not a whole lot of customers using copywriters - they use existing staff members who have explicit knowledge of the product or service. So, the client then weighs the cost of allocating time for their staff member to do it versus what you or someone else will charge.If there is that much copy, then I'd even consider hiring a temp to enter the text into word or something, so I can copy-n-paste or have the temp do it all - then its all about wpm (words per minute).

ok. i see.well- was just wondering, but i did not think so...i have a little project to do. i realised that most of the stuff are on hard copy- so thats why i asked.thx.

good luck - I've always hated transposing content from hard copy - more room for error - thank god for spell check.:)
lol. haha.... i know what u mean. i think i hate it more than u do tho.i'll probably give someone a lil' piece of the pie to type it all out for me- and save myself such precious time.