Image Recognition

dcole.ath.cx

Image recognition is a tough field. The slightest rotation or color change can throw it off. For a graphics course in college for the project we wrote a program that would basically tell you whether your image was one of a few Michael Jackson album covers. It got screwed up by things like a margin, or like I said rotation or color differences. It's a pretty tough thing to do, I doubt there are going to be many programs, especially free ones, that would do something like that. The professor for the course was working on something like that, but I don't think he's teaching there any more. But I would expect that a program capable of doing that would have a pretty large price tag on it.

Image recognition is an art in statistics. Meaning if you can understand this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_correlation, then you have a good chance of making it happen. The idea is to find patterns in the image data, and compare them statistically to patterns in other images.If you can do the math, then it wouldn't be all too expensive to implement. Although, I suppose the math degree did cost a lot of money to begin with.