Networking advice and more.

Antonios

I have just finished the army here in my country, Greece. We are being drafted for military service when you are above the 18th year of age. I am now trying to figure out what to do as a profession and what I really liked and was good in my Comp Eng degree was hardware and specifically I was interested in networks from the hardware side. What I mean is that I was good in setting up a network using various routers, switched etc. Now that I am free to study again I wanted to ask you whether there is an engineer/hardware type of work in networks that doesnt rely to much on software. In other words I want to setup the physical side and let someone else worry about OS, software etc. In case there is what do I have to study further to achieve this position e.g. protocols, maybe programming languages? Since the army took a part of my life would it be safe to start reading on my own or maybe join a program like Cisco training in order to catch up? Please any advice would be helpful.

If you want to make a career out of it, and get trained quickly, you will probably want to take some classes. It will cost more money, but you will get more knowledge faster. Working with software can be a little hard to avoid depending where you work, because in addition to setting up the network you will probably need to be able to configure the computers to connect to it.

Yes cisco training is great and is more advanced than Net+, be sure you know some networking basics before starting CCNA.Also, as I am sure you know, CCNA is all geared toward Cisco products.CCNA is 4 parts. The college I went to taught 1 per semester (bundled in their SysAdmin course). I had basically no networking knowledge and passed CCNA1 with ease, but Net+ or at least some basic knowledge would have made it easier.

CCNA is focused on Cisco routers and products while Microsoft looks at things with less emphasis on the brand of product but both are very good.Obviously Microsofts courses will focus on windows networking, I did not get far enough into CCNA to know which OSs they focus on.

I don't know about Cisco, but MikroTik's routers and software (that can turn any PC into a router) have their own powerful enough scripting capabilities.The best thing about those is that everything is documented. Even without classes, you may learn yourself, if you just have the testing environment. Or if you don't have time, nerves and/or resources, there's also training in MikroTik.