Dynamic Page Creation

MinusMyThoughts

i'm within inches of completing my first content management system. this is my last step before i just start adding bells and whistles to it......i'm trying to create a page where the user can upload an article or blog that will be saved in a database......i'm trying to then figure out how to create a page where the URL will have variables in it that the page will read to determine what to display. something like:http://www.mysite.com/articles?id=24where the "id=24" would be my article ID in the database. i know this is possible, and i found a tutorial on it, but i can't seem to get it to work. i've never dealt with .htaccess or even $_GET variables before, so i'm in totally foreign territory here......i'll try to explain where i'm at right now......my .htaccess file is in the site's root directory (which is a subdirectory on my host's server). i checked into it, and from what i can tell, the host DOES support .htaccess and mod_rewrite. the tutorial i found said i would need an .htaccess file, a file called croute.php (it implements the mod_rewrite. i think.), and my file that will use the $_GET variables (in this case, index.php; placed in mysite.com/articles)......my .htaccess file looks like this:

RewriteEngine OnRewriteRule articles/(.*) index.php?parameters=$1

...my croute.php looks like this:

<?php$params = array();function Router(){	global $params;	$explode = explode("/", $_GET["parameters"]);	for($i=0; $i < count($explode); $i++){		$params[$explode[$i]] = $explode[$i+1];		$i++;	}}Router();?>

...and my file to use all of this (just a test to see if it works for now) looks like this:

<?php include("croute.php")?><html><head><title>Let's View An Article!</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"></head><body><?phpforeach($params as $x1 => $x2){	echo $x1.": ".$x2."<br />";}?></body></html>

...now, i'll be the first to admit that i have no idea what's going on. i don't know if i'm even on the right track. any help at all is HUGELY appreciated...love,jason

i'm not sure is this what you need, here i have modified one from my web page with pretty url's, but this is simpler - only with one parameterwww.example.com/articles/24 will be rewritten to www.example.com/articles.php?id=24.htaccess file

RewriteEngine OnRewriteRule ^articles/(.+)/?$ articles.php?id=$1

articles.php

<?echo "selected article id is: ";echo $_GET["id"];?>

put these 2 files in www roothope it suits your needs

as it would turn out, i was travelling in the absolute wrong direction when i was trying to create my article library......i also didn't make any sense in asking the question......so. what i ended up doing was using a $_GET variable (i figured out how they worked) to feed the article title to my database, which then pulls up the article on a separate page......if that didn't make any sense, you can look at it HERE. click on the "more" link for the article "Let Go Of The Rock" to see how i used the $_GET variable......thanks for trying. sorry i don't make more sense...love,jason