Horizontal image loading?

Sean-Michael

I was wondering if anyone knew how to set images to load in the horizontal direction, like the images load for this site, here is the same exact script on my server. I'm not sure if this is a server or php setting. Who knows maybe my server does this and I don't see it because there's very little wait for images to load.Thanks in advance for help,

I don't think that's possible at all. It's part of the image format's specification. PNGs can be drawn progressively, but even they can't be drawn horizontally.

You can't control that. You can set it to load progressively, which means it loads the entire image at low resolution, then the next pass is a little higher, then the next is a little higher up until the full resolution. But if it is not progressive, it will load top-down because of how the bytes in the file are arranged. The bytes are arranged, and are read by the browser, to be the first row (however wide it is), then the second row, then the next, then the next etc. In order for the thing to load horizontally, the browser would have to download the entire file (so it could display the entire thing anyway), and then draw the first column, and the second column, third, etc.So, in short, no you can't do that. The only option you really have with a JPEG is if it is progressive or not. GIF calls the same thing interlacing.

So I assuming that unless its a really large image or a slow host the effects will not show?

It looks like it loads the entire image before it shows it, so you don't see it loading at all, it just appears.
lol, I added a lil 2mb picture and see a little effect lol thanks for your help!