Reading multiple lines from a text file

gravereaper

$myFile = "testFile.txt";$fh = fopen($myFile, 'w') or die("can't open file");$stringData = "Bobby Bopper\n";fwrite($fh, $stringData);$stringData = "Tracy Tanner\n";fwrite($fh, $stringData);fclose($fh);

This code should simply write the two names on different lines but instead of a line break its displaying a character normally used a symbol for line break. How can i read this txt file so that character is considered as an actual line break and the two names appear on different lines?

What are you looking at the text file in? Are you opening it in Notepad, or something else? If you open it in more then one program, do they all show the same thing? You should be able to attach the text file as an attachment to your post.

I'am putting the codes right but there seems to be a problem.. i'am using the following codes to write to the file:

<?php$myFile = "testfile.txt";$fh = fopen($myFile, 'w');$datastring = "text 1\n";fwrite($fh,$datastring);$datastring = "text2\n";fwrite($fh,$datastring);fclose($fh);?>

and the following to read it:

<?php$myFile = "testfile.txt";$fh = fopen($myFile, 'r');$theData = fread($fh, filesize($myFile));fclose($fh);echo $theData;?>

But instead of separate lines, its displaying the file contents in the same line, thats what i was trying to figure out..

The \r\n is for the text file only. Add a <br /> tag to the data in the file or in your echo statements to have the Browser output behave as you wish. The read function you are using reads the entire file contents. Maybe switch to a function which reads single lines at a time and add the br tag on each loop as you read / write the file contents. Check at the php site for the different functions available. fgets() looks promissing. http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.fgets.php