Left and Right shadow and Column Heights

Steve887

Hi everyone,I am in the process of designing a website using CSS and <div> tags for the layout and have run into a couple problems, any assistance would be appreciated.First off, I wish to put two different images on the left and right sides of the screen, extending to the bottom. I can position the left one correctly, but am having trouble with the right.http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3154/websitecopyfp2.jpg. This is a mockup I did in Photoshop, the shadows to the left and right of screen are what I'm trying to achieve.The CSS I have so far that I believe doesn't work:For some reason they're not showing up at all now.

#LeftShadow{	width: 50px;	background-image: url(images/left.jpg);	background-repeat: repeat-y;	background-position: 28px;	height: 100%;	float: left;}#RightShadow{	width: 50px;	background-image: url(images/right.jpg);	background-repeat: repeat-y;	height: 100%;	background-position: 100px;	float: right;}

And the actual HTML:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" ><head runat="server">	<title></title></head><body bgcolor="#eeeef0">		<form id="Main" runat="server">		<div id="LeftShadow">	<div id="RightShadow">...Rest of Code...	</div>	</div>	</form></body></html>

Secondly, as can be seen from the above picture, I have a 3 column layout with a footer. All three columns are fixed widths, but I wish for them all the be the same height, so that they are all the height of the column with the longest amount of content. I have read several articles of Feux tables and such, but they are quite confusing and a simple answer would be good.Again, the CSS for the column section:

#LeftCol{	position: absolute;	top: 360px; left: 75px;	background-color: #a8b0b3;	width: 157px;	height: auto;}#CentreCol{	position: absolute;	top: 360px; left: 232px;	background-color: #ffffff;	width: 536px;	height: auto;}#RightCol{	position: absolute;	top: 360px; left: 768px;	background-color: #a8b0b3;	width: 157px;	height: auto;}

And the relevent section of HTML code:

<div id="LeftCol">			blah blah blah		</div>				<div id="CentreCol">			blah blah blah		</div>				<div id="RightCol">			   blah blah blah		</div>

Again, any assistance would be appreciated.Thanks in advance. :)

You might try something like this instead:

<div id="Main">	<div id="LeftShadow"></div>	<div id="RightShadow"></div>	<div id="Content">...Rest of Code...	</div></div>

In the code you posted, you had the RightShadow div nested within the LeftShadow div and all of the content was nested in the RightShadow div. I would imagine that would mess up the float actions. If you had a main div which held the shadows and the content - each as separate elements - you could float the left shadow left and the right shadow right and the content should stay in the middle.Hope this helps.