Streaming wmv files

feck

The best way is probably to use a video player built in Flash. Flash will ensure that the most people can see it, rather then trying to embed the video and have it play in the user's own player. You can build your own if you have Flash, or if you do a search for Flash video players you can find some free ready-made ones. The main thing is the format of the movie. You may need to convert it to a FLV file (Flash video), but then again you may be able to find a player that will play a WMV.

Thanks justsomeguyI've managed to use the object element to show the file, but this only plays for some reason in IE, but not in other browsers.Why is this?Using your way, the user would still need to download the flash plugin, would'nt they?

Yes, they would need the Flash plugin, but I've heard Macromedia claim before they got bought out by Adobe that Flash was installed on 98% of computers. A lot of new computers these days even have it pre-loaded. It's also used by Youtube and Google Video, so if anyone has seen a video there then they already have Flash installed.I wouldn't be able to say why the object is only working in IE off the top of my head, but I know from discusssions on here that some browsers support <object> and others support <embed>. And, if the object you are using has a classID that refers to something like Windows Media Player, then it will only work on computers with that installed.So, I think the best way to get a video to work for the most people across the most browsers is through Flash, it will work on Apples and everything else has that Flash installed.

Thanks again justsomeguy,you've convinced me now to use flash, so I'm just converting the wmv file.Are there any tutorials you know of, or good directions to point me too, that have any good tutorials in embedding flash movies?