Hey could use some help

DatDudeFuddPucker

Hello, I am new to this site so bear with me please if I ask for help that may have already been addressed in other topics. I apologize.

Ok

I am new to this HTML thing and I am sure there are far better ways to code what I want done. I just have no idea how to do what I am about to ask. I am sorry I cannot offer any more information on my problem, if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

I know how to make a sidebar on the page. And I know how to make those options in the sidebar links. What I am confused on is how to make the link open up in the area next to the side bar. Just to make sure I am clear on my intentions with this question. I know how to make links open up in the same window as the link is clicked. Rather I want the links to open up within the same window and to the right of where the sidebar is. Perhaps its not links I should be using? If not please point me in the right direction. I appreciate it. Once again thank you.

Without HTMl you would not have a web page.

JavaScript (NOT Java, completely different) can enhance, manipulate HTML, AJAX is JavaScript and server-side language such as PHP, ASP.NET (that returns HTML and content), where you can communicate with server-side language using JavaScript to retrieve information for example from a database and show instantly, without the need to reload the page.

Required for web page

minimum required

html

css

JavaScript

server-side language

Edited by dsonesuk

Ok. I see I have a lot of learning to do.

So I need to know HTML to make the webpage, but I also need to learn a java script language in order to manipluate the HTML to do what I want? Am I understanding this correctly? If I am which of the javascript langauges do you suggest I learn? Or rather if multiple are needed to do what I want which should I start off with?

I see I was not clear enough on my intentions davej. I apologize. I have a side bar. In this side bar I want there to be options you can click on. Based on which option you click on I want the information displayed to the right of the side bar. I understand I am new to HTML and languages and such. Sorry for the confusion.

I want the information displayed to the right of the side bar.

This still does not explain what you want. What is this "information" that you want displayed to the right of the side bar? In a conventional web design you jump to another page to see the "information" associated with a menu click.

check this site out please davej. Once again I am sorry if I am not describing what I want properly.

http://flipp.ca/about/

Notice how the sidebar on the left side of the screen stays there regardless of what is clicked on it? The information or pictures or whatever the buttons link to is displayed to the right of the sidebar without the sidebar leaving the screen or the entire page reloading. This is what I am aiming to achieve. Perhaps it is reloading just doing it so fast I am not noticing it? Either way this is the desired effect I want for my site. Thanks once again.

Okay, but in a conventional website you can do that. You simply create various pages that have the exact same left menu bar but different content areas.

Yes, but to do it efficiently you'd still need to learn a server side language. That way you can have one file with the menu bar in it and just include it on the rest of the pages. Otherwise, you'll need to maintain the same code (the menu) across every single page that uses the menu.

Ok. I see I have a lot of learning to do.

So I need to know HTML to make the webpage, but I also need to learn a java script language in order to manipluate the HTML to do what I want? Am I understanding this correctly? If I am which of the javascript langauges do you suggest I learn? Or rather if multiple are needed to do what I want which should I start off with?

JavaScript is the language, it is not a collection of languages. You could skip JavaScript and do something like what davej suggested above and use server-side includes. This is much easier than using AJAX, though maybe not quite as fancy. Plus, server side includes will work even with JavaScript disabled (AJAX will not).

Edited by ShadowMage

Include menu in all pages, include specific content (on right) depending on individual pages url, checking that specific file exists, this setup means the pages will reload every time, once you have this working, you can setup a single page maybe index page, where you use JavaScript to disable links and when a link is clicked run ajax to retrieve link related content you had already setup for individual pages, and show in content area in this page that requires no reload, you will have all links/content available for search bots to find cause it will have individual pages plus content, and will ignore ajax produced content as it is non readable JavaScript produced content.