my first html / css website with a little javascript

Elemental

Hey Folks,This may be premature on my part but I would really appreciate your feedback on this site. I've been working on it for some time now, posting question on the forums about one thing or another. My friend's Paul and Colette, for whom the site is for, wanted it up ASAP. so it's been up for a while.Still, even though it's been up for a while, I wanted your feedback. In some ways I've been hesitant or rather dreading your critiques but I realized that in order to learn and perhaps improve my skills I had to ask; and how best to learn but to be critiqued by the best.So, here it is, the moment of truth; its sink or swim as they say.Site Name: Shadowland Foundation, Inc.Site Description: To educate children of all ages about wolves.Site Owner/Developer: Shadowland Foundation, Inc / I don't know about Developer but I put it all together.Site Address: http://www.shadowlandfoundation.orgExtra Comments: I still need to add a couple of news videos and learn how to have their blogger blog hosted locally on their site.Peace,Elemental

Your site shows that you have an understanding of proper css, html, and structure. While it's obvious you aren't an experienced designer, you have a good developer foundation. That's not to say you cannot or will not be a designer, but creating visually appealing sites comes with practice and experienced. Your content is easy to read, the flow is recognizable, and someone who is trying to become informed will not have to do a lot of searching to get the information they are looking for.To sum it up- Clean, Functional, Informative, but Ugly.I was watching a Google analytics video and heard that tests show that users decide whether to stay on the page within the first few seconds of visiting it. This is understandable and you can probably catch yourself doing it all the time, I do. In these first few seconds the users obviously isn't reading the entire page word for word. The user is looking at the layout and Titles. If your web page looks like it's from the 90s, the user will probably think it's a ghost site (not kept or updated).Solutions:1. Find a color scheme2. Create a more structured layout.3. Use banners that aren't so in-your-face-fake. It's very noticeable.That's my 2-cents. Good luck!

While I wouldn't go so far as to say its ugly, I would also expose a better color scheme. Although as mentioned before, having an eye for layout and design comes with lots of time and experience, and in the meantime, the most important skills are good techniques and coding practices, which you seem to have. My only technical suggestions are to use a Strict DTD and validate your code. I wish I could over more suggestions on the design, but alas I am only in the intermediary phase of that skill set.

okay so i like how you used orange! thats not too common of a color and makes it stand a bit straighter, and i Love how you used a drop down in the top and a stand up in the bottom i love that! i think its really smart,you could also use more color, and less white space. for that "Urgent" note in the top you could use a graphic, which i think would be better, Make more use of a Design rather then Coding!but your on the right track! keep on keepin on!

MrFish, thescientist, Attila2452, Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, much appreciated.I know there's much still to learn, in all phases of, I don't think one can ever stop learning. Thank you again for taking the time and your honesty. Peace,Elemental

I think everyone said it above about your code and your design so I'll just say this about colour picking :) ...Using Black as a background for a website is NEVER a good design choice unless you're using a luminescence colour for text and borders etc. Black attracts the eyes focus thus making your audience less focused on the content. Go for dark shades of other colours or greys. My personal favourite is #292929. Apart from that black is a distraction; it also looks a bit dodgy, if I had kids I would check what site they were on if I saw them on a site with a black background like that lol./art student

ApocalypeX,Thank you for your input, much appreciated.I hear you, the question is what if the person your doing it for wants that color for a background, even if you've told them kind of what you said?, minus the kid thing.I know I need work on my designing and layout, I'm well aware of that, and as noted before this will come with time, well sort of. I guess I'll be dusting off the old books, oh what joy, and going over what I must have falling asleep on.I guess I was more interested and looking forward to feed-back about the back-end stuff, the includes, ie conditionals, css, JavaScript, that sort of thing; you know, the stuff under the hood. How to improve it, minimize it, make it cleaner, leaner, where I need to pay more attention to, the techie stuff.Peace,Elemental

I hear you, the question is what if the person your doing it for wants that color for a background, even if you've told them kind of what you said?, minus the kid thing.
Go for a colour like this #000008 it's an EXTREMELY dark blue. They wouldn't even notice.

• 3 weeks later...
Go for a colour like this #000008 it's an EXTREMELY dark blue. They wouldn't even notice.
ApocalypeX, Thanks again for your advice, I'll do that, and my apologies for the late reply.Peace,Elemental

Codewise, don't use underscores in class and id names.http://devedge-temp.mozilla.org/viewsource...ss-underscores/
That article was written in 2001, as far as I know, all modern browsers support underscores in CSS selectors.

Codewise, don't use underscores in class and id names.http://devedge-temp.mozilla.org/viewsource...ss-underscores/
aside from synooks comment, I can say that I've used underscores consistently in all my stylesheet's and I've never run into any issues when rendering my pages in any modern browser (i.e. something that's NOT on the list in that article) and had no problems, and they all validate. The article may have been relevant in 2001, but anyone who works with computers in any capacity knows how much and how fast things change in a couple years, let alone nearly a decade.

YottaFlop, thescientist, Synook,Thank you for the comments, much appreciated.I haven't been doing this as long but in the short time that I have been coding I haven't encountered any issues using the underscore as part of any css id or class name; didn't even know there was such an issue ...I need to read the stuff you guys are reading.Peace,Elemental

Archived