need help

nidhi

i m a beginer....can u tell me if i omit the starting <td> and then some data is there an d at last i close the tag by using </td> at the end of the data then wat will happen?for eg:<table>this is just an example</td></table>will the data b displaced? will the ending </td> be recognized?

i m a beginer....can u tell me if i omit the starting <td> and then some data is there an d at last i close the tag by using </td> at the end of the data then wat will happen?for eg:<table>this is just an example</td></table>will the data b displaced? will the ending </td> be recognized?

it depends on a lot of things. you dont <tr> given, this will certainly not validate . the correct format is
<table><tr><td>This is juat an exaple</td></tr></table>

why dont you want to add td, it just takes a second. as for your question the data will be displayed, but if you have many td' and tr's the answer might change. :)

thanx for ur reply....i m asking that i was trying to change d layout of a html page by removing the <td> tag....since <td> will not b present, so the table formatting will not be implemented...everything will come as raw data. if u hv time try to help me...what i want to do is reformatting a html pages into a single column.for this i hv done following steps:1) remove all the external links for CSS from the original web page..2)attach my own CSS.i m trying to resolve the table into a single column bt stuck in between.hw to do that??? if i remove the <table> tag or <td> tag then will it work?plz suggest me.

In order to have your page displayed in only 1 column you still need one table with one cell or you may choose to go with css and forget about tables. Since you mentionned you were a beginner maybe tables are easier for now.Here is the code you need:

<table><tr>  <td>This is my only column</td></tr></table>

Since you mentionned you were a beginner maybe tables are easier for now.

i think unless you are in a hurry, dont use tables for layouts, learn css. it would help.coming to what you neededi did not understand what you need. you need a html layout without using <table> and <td> tags, and i dont have any idea about that, :) , maybe a site example, or pictorial layout...if you just want data in single columns there is absolutely no need to us tables. or maybe i am wrong. :)

If you want to reformat your site, you typically can't just go around and delete tags. Browsers might display it like you want, but the code is incorrect and in the future it will not work. If you want to redesign, start from scratch and make a new layout, and then put your existing data in.

i want to know how people do reformatting of web pages for mobile devices....there r some specific mobile sites, i agree but there r some people who gv such services after subscribing (some charge)....they reformat the page on the fly....how they do that? .....like 'Skweezer' <www.skweezer.net/> providing wireless web services and applications ..if u hv any idea hw to approach reformatting of already existing web page...plz help me....u r also welcome with ur new innovative ideas if u think they r feasible.....

I would assume that they either use a table-less layout with CSS that will degrade gracefully for clients that don't support the more advanced features, or they detect the user agent with a server-side language like PHP and actually send different HTML or CSS depending on if the user agent is a normal PC or a small-screen. There are several published lists of user agent strings that different devices such as PDAs or mobile phones will send. Opera seems to be the dominant browser for mobile phones.For example, if you go to google.com on a PDA you will see that you are redirected to a PDA url, so Google for one detects the user agent string and sends different HTML if the user agent is a PDA.