CSS and Image Navs

sandeman

Perhaps I am jumping in way over my head, but I have this style to consider:http://jasonsandeman.com/Gaming/image_bin/qabbal_portal.jpgSo what this is; its a body tag with an img background. I want to place the icons on the page to be rollover effects, using a list. So far, this is as far as I have gotten:http://jasonsandeman.com/qabbal/Now, here is the code to consider:portal.css

body {	background-color:#000000;	background-attachment: fixed;	background-image: url(http://jasonsandeman.com/qabbal/images/q_images/images/qabbal_bg.jpg);	background-repeat: no-repeat;	background-position: center;	}/* Div for the whole shebang */#container {	font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;	font-size: 14px;	font-style: normal;	font-weight: normal;	text-decoration: none;}/* here is where I attempt the placement of the footer. I want it to be right about the middle portion. */#footer {	font-size: 80%;	bottom: 60pt;	text-decoration: none;	color: #666;	position: absolute;	height: 30px;	width: 100%;	text-align: center;	}/* Tightening up the line spacing. I tried this with ems, but it did not seem to work 30% seems good. */p {	line-height: 30%;}/* now for the icon nav code /*

nav.css

/* CSS Document *//* this will be the Navigation CSS socument, where I try to make the navigation button system */<!--/* CSS from tutorials www.alsacreations.com/articles *//* To be replaced with my code with the small navigation bar - specifically the positioning, and the spacing on the image itself. To think, one image! No Rollover GIFS! */ul, li {	/* use of a list for the menu */list-style-type: none;	/* clean up of the liste */margin:0;padding:0;}ul {position: absolute;	/* ppositionning for IE5 et IE5.5 Make sure this is at the spot that you want it.*/top: 400px;left: 390px;background: transparent url(../images/q_images/images/big_navbuttons.png) top left no-repeat;	/* general menu background*/width: 500px;text-align: center;}li {float: left;}li a {	/* buttons dimensions and definitions */display: block;	/* <a> block to give it its dimensions */height: 140px;width: 122px;color: #fff;font-size: 14px;line-height: 50px;	/* line height to avoid paddings */font-weight: bold;font-family: arial, serif;text-decoration: none;}li a:hover {background: transparent url(../images/q_images/images/big_navbuttons.png) top left no-repeat;}/* replace all of this with the roll over images and stop messing around. */a#forum:hover {background-position: -500px 0%;	/* background move for each button -- Is this from the left?*/}a#campaign:hover {background-position: -628px 0%;}a#download:hover {background-position: -753px 0%;}a#contact:hover {background-position: -879px 0%;}-->

and finally, the html file:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" /><title>Qabbal</title><link href="css/portal.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /><link href="css/nav.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /></head><body><!-- I must remember to place things nicely, in valid fomart, and clean code. :) --><div id="container" align="center"><!-- Here is where I am putting the Nav element for this Page - nav_big --><div id="navbar_big">	<ul>		<li id="forum">			<a href="">			</a>		</li>		<li id="campaign">			<a href="">			</a>		</li>		<li id="download">			<a href="">			</a>		</li>		<li id="contact"> 			<a href="">			</a>		</li>	</ul></div><div id="navbar_small"></div><div id="footer" align="center"><p>A campaign setting for Fantasy Grounds Virtual Table Top for pen and paper Role-Playing Games</p><p>© 2007 by Stuart J. Miller and Jason Sandeman<p> </p></div></div></body></html>

Sorry for the long post, but I really want to figure this out. I am currently reading about 4 books on CSS, and taking another course via DVD. I am sure that I can figure out how to do it, but sometimes someone pointing me in the right direction never hurt. I know I may be getting in over my head, but that is also the way that I learn, by doing, screwing up, then figuring it out. :)I know it may seem strange that I spilt the navigation into a seperate css file, but I did this, because this will page will take others to the other 4 sections, and there will be a similar nav bar, with smaller icons, to keep the whole site consistent. I figured it would be easier to control that with a sheet that is seperate. :)Sandeman

try doing this [bolded part] for all you css element ID's....#navbar_big ul li#forum a { background-image: url(../images/forums.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; }#navbar_big ul li#forum a:hover { background-image: url(../images/forums_rollover.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; }

Hmm. I can see that I am still learning. I can't believe I forgot to tell about the <a> tag.I fixed this in the css file, but now I have a problem. The nav bar is not showing on the page. I am seeing the container for it, but there is nothing there.Sandeman

Well, I believe I have finally figured it out. As a bonus, I found a way to make the menu based off of ONE image, and eliminated the need to have a thousand gif images. That was the highlight of this excercise.Now, the only things I have that are a little confusing to me is the layout on different browsers. I have updated the code above to the changes, and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.Specifically, things look great in the browser of FF2.0. When I resize the window though, the icons move around. What I am looking for is to have everything remain in the center. Another problem is the cross browser. I checked things out in IE7, and they seem to be good, except the positioning of the icons are not that great. It is even worse in IE6.Does anyone know of a good way to fix this cross-browser? Or is there a link to somewhere where there will be a lot of examples and explanations?My google-fu is good, but there are so many conflicting stories, I am having trouble sorting it out. :)Cheers,SandemanThe site: www.jasonsandeman.com/qabbal