ftp issue - heeeeeeeeelp!!!!

zaniac

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my computer. I am currently in the process of making some pages for a simple website. I have tried to experiment with uploading a dummy page onto my domain, which is being hosted by a company. However the problem seems to be that everytime I try I get the following message:"Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access this folder.Details:A connection with the server could not be established"I have had this same problem with 2 different servers that I have tried. One host said the domain is working fine and showed me a page which they temporarily added to show the domain has no problems. So I'm now not sure what to check on my computer. :) I've never ftp'd anything in my life, but I checked and confirmed my ftp address and details with the hosting companies and they say that what I have used is correct. I have a firewall setup (mcafee) and I have been trying to ftp using my web browser Internet Explorer.Any ideas, suggestions,help etc is greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance :)

Ok I tried Smartftp, but still got no joy. The following message appeared in all 4 attempts made:" 14:12:11] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."Is this referring to my computer?Hi hooch, thanks for your suggestion. I'll make a note of it :)

Ok, the problem is not the servers, it is mcafee. I have finally found this out, can you guys recommend a suitable and safe alternative to mcafee pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. One of course that will easily allow for ftp-ingThanks in advance :)

This is kind of Off Topic but for FTP I prefer using Far Manager. Some of you might not like it but once you get used to it you can manage files on your pc and your server in seconds. For example it takes me about 2 clicks to upload saved php file. Here is the web site. Give it a try :)Far Manager.

This is kind of Off Topic but for FTP I prefer using Far Manager. Some of you might not like it but once you get used to it you can manage files on your pc and your server in seconds. For example it takes me about 2 clicks to upload saved php file. Here is the web site. Give it a try :)Far Manager.
Thanks mate for the ftp suggestion. I'll take a look at it soon.

Many setups require a passive FTP connection. The message that the server actively refused the connection might indicate the need for a passive connection. The FTP client should have a setting for passive (PASV) that you should try. Most of my connections require this.

Somehow my website with servage has nothing on it now, so I'm clear to go - strange! I shall start uploading soon woo-hoo!! :)Ok I have finally resolved the ftp issue. My Mcafee is 2005 version and it just had to be that which was causing the issue. Like I said before I tried everything the Mcafee technicians asked, but nothing mad any real difference. I chose to download the new version of Mcafee and it seems everything is working well now. Thanks guys for your help and advice it was all greatly appreciated :)