Upgrading from PWS

Donar

Yes, still running Personal Web Server :)Now that I have my first experiences with my web server, I'd like to know what the best option would be for me to upgrade to a "real" web-server with some more advanced functions. Main reason being that at times I have 10 simultaneous visitors now, and all those see is the ugly "Page can not be displayed" page.I run Win 2000 Pro, and of course ASP Scripts must be supported :)What is your advice?Regards//Herbert

If you want to run it on your own computer you will have to upgrade to a windows server (2000 or 2003) as Win2000 and WinXP pro have a 10 concurrent user limit on IIS.If you are able to switch from ASP to PHP you could use Apache and not have ot fork out money for Windows Server.

Thanks for your answers.I might upgrade to win 2000 server then, if I can get ahold of a not too expensive copy.However, I noticed the following: My scripts execute fast (some ADO involved, but still far below 1 sec), and there is no need to maintain a session between the scripts. That is, the connections may terminate instantly after the end of a script.However, I notice, that the PWS does not let go of the connections (at least the number of connections won't change for a fairly long time). Since this is what prevents others from accessing my scripts, I would be fine if I could get rid of the connection. Session.Abandon does /not/ do the trick: PWS won't let them go. I was thinking that the ServerVariable HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE was the culprit (?), but if so, how would I change that default of 300 seconds to something far below that?Or if it is not the cause for that behaviour, what else should I change?Thanks very much, folks (you're my hope, I come from googling for like 3 hours now :))Regards//HerbertEdit:Well, I found it:IIS, rightclick on webserver, WWW, Edit, uncheck HTTP KeepaliveRestart IIS (with it PWS goes down and up again)Et voilĂ : Number of connections almost always remains on 0 zero now.Though I'd report it so that others in this situation can make use of it. Saves me another year or so from upgrading :)//Herbert

If you are in the rare segment of the population where you feel that the arbitrary restrictions that Microsoft places on your computer are actually not in your best interest, then you may be interested in this patch:http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=toolsMake sure to read the entire page before you do anything.

Appreciated. Bookmarked and DLed. However, atm they are mostly 0 and rarely 1 connections: it would require like several visitors accessing my pages within the same 100 ms in order to substanially increase that number. (Compared with the kept-alive HTTP, with the same number of visitors, or even less for that matrer, half of them received the overload page.)As soon as I see the connections approach 5, I will give it a try. (Should it not work I won't blame you, hehe, after all, I still have the original disks to reinstall :))Thanks, and regardsPS: The files are not liked by my AntiVir.