mysql-test-run Fails...

MinusMyThoughts

Hey, everyone. I'm still wrestling with an install issue concerning XAMPP. I got everything running, and MySQL is present, it just isn't working yet. I can see that MySQL is working when I use the 'phpinfo();' command.Now, I'll be the first to admit that I know just enough about MySQL to store and retrieve information, so setting up my machine with a root user and all that jazz has proven to be a tad bit over my head.So, all I know for sure is that XAMPP documentation says MySQL comes without a root password.My understanding is that this means I use the following to connect to the database:host: 'localhost'user: 'root'pass: ''That fails when I attempt to connect, saying, "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)"So, I came across "mysql-test-run" in the XAMPP documentation, and ran it, to these results:

jasons-computer:/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/mysql-test root# ./mysql-test-runLogging: ./mysql-test-run Installing Test DatabasesRemoving Stale FilesInstalling Master Databasesmysqld is missing - looked in ../bin and in ../libexecError: Could not install master test DBs
I have no idea what this means or how to fix it.Help?Thanks!-Jason

I don't have much knowledge of XAMPP or Mac, but I use Ubuntu and Debian... :?)From the test-run it seams that it can't find the mysql-binary in either /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/bin or /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/lib.I can't imagine that those two directories are in the dir xamppfiles what happens if you run ./mysql-test/mysql-test-run, I'm not sure but it may work as the bin and lib dirs should be in the xampp dir.If that run succeedes try this

sudo ln -s /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/bin /Applications/xampp/bin/andsudo ln -s /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/lib /Applications/xampp/lib/

in the terminal (you must do it as root [sudo or su -c]) and then run the php-script. I don't now if that will work or not but it's worth a try.I don't think it's the wrong password or anything like that..Good Luck

Sorry for the extremely belated reply.Apparently, MySQL didn't initiate properly or something when I installed XAMPP.I just opened the XAMPP index in http://localhost (XAMPP has a page that shows up after installation to let you know it was successful), and the link to phpmyadmin gave me the following error:

#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)

I get a socket error when I run mysql-test-run, too. So, is there a reference or a tip from anyone on configuring my local socket to cooperate?Thanks!-Jason