table sites

Xtazy

Hey guys,I have a very big question: why do most of these big cool sites use a lot of tables? i don't get it... i'm working on a site my own and i didn't use a freakin' table or table data...and i like the way it looks...i don't say that is a GORGEOUS one but i don't see a lot of differences between a 'non-tabled' site and a 'tabled' site...I SIMPLY DON'T GET IT...please reply... :)

There are discussions about tables vs CSS all over this forum, you should do a search if you want to see the discussions. The bottom line is that most developers will choose the method that is the best combination of speed and accuracy. It doesn't matter if it takes someone 10 minutes to create a layout using divs and CSS if the layout does not conform to the specification. And, it doesn't matter if you make a layout that conforms perfectly to the specification if it took you a month to get it right. The fact is that tables are easy for a lot of people to work with (your experience may vary), they look nearly identical in all browsers released during the past 10 years, and they are very quick for a lot of people to set up. My personal experiences with divs and CSS shows that they work great for a lot of simple tasks, but if I'm faced with a complex layout that requires advanced CSS and relies on browser support, I will always use a table just to get it done quickly and accurately.This is one example. I wouldn't even want to try to wrap my brain around the layout and CSS that would be required to get this to look like I want it, but I could look at the original image and just see gridlines pop out at me and form the tables that I need to position everything where I want it:http://www.valleywidemusic.com/

Oh...But i find it easier to position a file with CSS than working with tables....i just write in style the attributes that i want to my element has and add a p class to the one that i want it for....Maybe it's because i worked with them before tables...don't know how but i did.... :) although HTML is before CSS....