Installing PHP

PrateekSaxena

Hi,So I know PHP and have made stuff on it, but I have always edited my PHP file on online editors and have to reload the web page again and again. Now I am working on this big project and reloading it again and again would make the process very slow. So could someone please teach me step by step how to install PHP?

google XAMMP and download a copy for installing on your local machine. Then store all of the php files inside a directory of the XAMMP "htdocs" directory and call them using http://localhost/directory/filename.php in your browser.If you read the manual and still need help, post back here.

Ok..thanks Xenon. I am now kind of comiling a CD of all the S/W's that a web developer may require. Currently I have

• EditPlus 2.30
  • IrfanView 3.00
  • FireFox 2.0.0.1
  • FireBug 1.0
  • Apache, PHP, MySQL now XAMPP
  • .NET and Microsoft Wb Designer

Anything else that you suggest??

What?

Apache, php, and mysql are already included in XAMPP.
I mean I had all this but now I am using XAMPPEDIT: I have not been able to get XAMPP, due to slow internet connection!I have installed Apache 2.2.4 and PHP 5.2 and PHP has configured the Apache 2.2.4 too.Now the Apache server is running how do I actually run PHP files now??Is there a particular place where I need to save them??Please help!

Well maybe some PDF's welcoming the person to Web Dev. and maybe some tips on how to get going. Include links to tut sites...like W3.Also maybe just some instructions on how to use the products and youll be done :)Good to see that you are making a resource for new web devys :)

Could someone please help me out with my problem and forget about the CD for sometimeEDIT:I have made a file called me.php3 in c:/launchpad but when I write http://localhost/launchpad/me.php3 I get 404 Not Found. What is the problem...could someone please tell me why this is happening?And when I write http://localhost/C:/launchpad/me.php3 I get 403 Forbiddenwhat do I do :)

Your not putting the file in the right directory i dont think.Your directory should be %XAMPP Install Path%/htdocs/example: C:/Program Files/xampp/htdocs/%your stuff here%Chuck it in there and then check it on the browser.If you have set your root apache directory to C:/ then maybe change it back :) C:/ aint a good place at all to have a web server root directory

Ok...so I put the me.php3 in the htdocs thing. Now when I open it I get <?phpecho "hi";?>I have installed PHP it confiugerd Apache too but it does not seem to actually run the PHP fileWhat should I do now?

Note: This was fixed via MSN. The problem was it would not run the .php3 extension because Apache's MIME types do not 'by default' know about the php3 extension. You can add this to the MIME list if you want to.Just thought id keep every1 in the loop :)

Apart from the fact that the filename was named .php3 the other problem as that I had not restarted my Apache Server after installing PHP. Am I not stupid :)