list styles in css

olking

I have an unordered list and am trying to apply markers to it.The code I am using is as follows:In the head:-ul.list{position:absolute;left:100px;width:100%;padding:0;margin:0;list-style-type:disc;font: 900 15px arial;color:#996600;}Then in the body:-<ul class="list"> <li> Road accidents</li><br> <li> Habitat destruction - urban development</li><br> <li> Dog and cat attacks - be responsible with your pets</li><br> <li> Disease - adverse weather conditions</li><br> <li> Flying into windows</li><br> <li> Poisons in the environment -many household substances are toxic to wildlife eg. fly spray, herbicides</li></ul>I get the list as I expected except there are no disc markers.I have tried it without the position absolute, but that is no good either.Can anyone help me with this?

help.htm

I think you should apply the style to the List item -

li.list{position:absolute;left:100px;width:100%;padding:0;margin:0;list-style-type:disc;font: 900 15px arial;color:#996600;}

Then in the body:-

<ul><li class="list"> Road accidents</li><br><li class="list"> Habitat destruction - urban development</li><br><li class="list"> Dog and cat attacks - be responsible with your pets</li><br><li class="list"> Disease - adverse weather conditions</li><br><li class="list"> Flying into windows</li><br><li class="list"> Poisons in the environment -many household substances are toxic to wildlifeeg. fly spray, herbicides</li></ul>

I think you should apply the style to the List item -
li.list{position:absolute;left:100px;width:100%;padding:0;margin:0;list-style-type:disc;font: 900 15px arial;color:#996600;}

Then in the body:-

<ul><li class="list"> Road accidents</li><br><li class="list"> Habitat destruction - urban development</li><br><li class="list"> Dog and cat attacks - be responsible with your pets</li><br><li class="list"> Disease - adverse weather conditions</li><br><li class="list"> Flying into windows</li><br><li class="list"> Poisons in the environment -many household substances are toxic to wildlifeeg. fly spray, herbicides</li></ul>

Thank you for your suggestion, but I have tried it and am sorry to say that it doesn't work

Put all this inside a <DIV> and change its style through CSS!

You just quoted me...does that mean it worked :-/

did you mean like this :div.list{position:absolute;left:100px;width:100%;padding:0;margin:0;list-style-type:disc;font: 900 15px arial;color:#996600;}and in body:<div class="list"><ul><li> Road accidents</li><br><li> Habitat destruction - urban development</li><br><li> Dog and cat attacks - be responsible with your pets</li><br><li> Disease - adverse weather conditions</li><br><li> Flying into windows</li><br><li> Poisons in the environment -many household substances are toxic to wildlifeeg. fly spray, herbicides</li></ul></div>I tried that and still no luck.I am very much a newbie in css one very strange thing.I am writing in dreamweaver and the markers show up ok in the wysiwyg but when I view them in firefox or ie6 they dont show

You needed to be more specific in your use of the styling and I reordered some stuff. The <a> styles are above the li styles now. I think maybe they were overriding the li styles.And I removed the <br />'s from the list. Use padding or margins to space them apart instead.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><title>North Queensland Wildlife Care Home Page</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><style type="text/css">body{ background: url('images/logo.gif') no-repeat fixed 750px 80px;}p { font-family: arial; }li.menu{display:inline} a{float:left;width:11em;text-decoration:none;color:#996600;background-color:white;padding:0.2em 0.6em;border-right:1px solid white;}a:hover{background-color:whitetext-decoration:none;color:#333300;}ul.menu{float:left;width:100%;padding:0;margin:0;list-style-type:none;font: italic small-caps 900 15px arial}ul.list{position:absolute;left:100px;width:100%;padding:0;margin:0;list-style-type:disc;font:  900 15px arial;color:#996600;}</style></head><body><ul class="menu">   <li>	<div align="center"><a href="index.htm">Home</a></div>  </li>  <li>	<div align="center"><a href="help.htm">Help for animals</a></div>  </li>  <li>	<div align="center"><a href="contact.htm">Contact us</a></div>  </li>  <li>	<div align="center"><a href="links.htm">Other wildlife sites</a></div>  </li>  <li>	<div align="center"><a href="query.htm">Submit questions</a></div>  </li></ul><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> <font size="4" color="#996600">Why do native animals come into care?</font></p><br><ul class="list">  <li> Road accidents</li>  <li> 	Habitat destruction - urban development</li>  <li> 	Dog and cat attacks - be responsible with your pets</li>  <li> 	Disease - adverse weather conditions</li>  <li> 	Flying into windows</li>  <li>  Poisons in the environment -many household substances are toxic to wildlife 	eg. fly spray, herbicides</li></ul></body></html>

Precedence is determined by the Cascade (they call them Cascading Style Sheets for a reason) and the "weight" of a selector.It is a bit technical, but here is a link you should read a couple of times. It discusses how selectors can over-ride or be over-ridden by being "more specific" with your element selectors. Example, when does a class help or hinder a selection...http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#cascade