XAMPP for PHP hosting, but what for ASP?

Anders Moen

Hey!I was just wondering...are there any "products" like XAMPP, just for ASP instead? With like database stuff, and stuff like that, just like XAMPP is for PHP?I really wanna start learning ASP now, cause I've been learning PHP for a while so...I've been searching, and searching and I can't find anything..

ASP only runs on IIS and gets installed automatically when you install IIS. You may need to enable support for ASP in IIS, depending on the version of IIS you are installing. You can only install IIS from the Windows CD, it is not available for download. There are no packages that install ASP or ASP.NET, a database system, and integrate everything. People typically do that themselves. If you already have MySQL installed you can still use that with ASP.

So basically I have like no chance to install IIS on my computer then? Cause I have no idea where the Windows CD is...And I've been told I need some kinda program (which costs money) to download the .mdb databases I make at Brinkster.com.Or is it like that?

I don't know, I've never used brinkster.com and I don't use Access databases in general. But you do need the Windows CD to install IIS, if you don't have it then you can't install IIS. For future reference, you will want to keep the Windows CD in a safe place, I have reinstalled my OS several times or have installed or re-installed optional components (such as IIS) and you need the CD to do that. So yeah, if you don't have the CD then you can't install IIS.But if you have access to the data in your databases, you can just build a script to write them out to CSV and import them somewhere else.

Well...my dad knows where the CD is, but when I asked him where it was he just said "is the computer broken" or something like that, and then I said "no, I'm gonna install IIS", and then he just got mad haha, cause I download/install a lot ... way too much.But we'll speak tomorrow :)Mock exam tomorrow, so I gotta go to bed now...bye for now.