What's the difference between ASP and PHP?

Ragnos

What is the difference between ASP and PHP? Does it matter wich one you learn? Do you have to learn both or is learning one sufficient? Wich one is the best for a beginner?Srry for all the questions but I gotta know :)

PHP is definately better than ASP in many ways. ASP is limited to windows servers which can cost more for hosting space. ASP is a final version, there will never be anymore updates or additions to the language while PHP is still being developed regularly. There is a much larger PHP commmunty for support than ASP.Keep in mind that ASP is not the same as ASP.Net, they are very different. ASP.Net , IMO, is pretty much tied with PHP with reasons for and against so it boils down to preference and what your needs are.IMO, PHP would be easier for a beginner unless you already know C# or VB

As aspnetguy said, PHP is easier to learn...oh yeah, that's true! I tried ASP at Brinkster.com once, and I used about 2 months before I even understood how to connect to my database, and with PHP I learned it in like...1 week or something.So PHP is much better. As aspnetguy also said, PHP is free and ASP could easily cost money.If you need a free PHP host with MySQL, you could use Awardspace :)Good luck!

I'd recomment PHP too cause I think that is is more powerful. Also ASP is Microsoft stuff, and I am not really a supported of MS. Plus I have only PHP server not ASP :)