web hosting with php5 / mysql

astralaaron

Anyone know of some internet webspace hosting sites that support PHP5 and MySQL(commandPrompt or phpmyadmin)please let me know(ive been learning about php5/mysql on my local machine.. just wondering how its done through remote servers... do they give you a command prompt? phpMyAdmin? how does that work..?)

Most webhosts don't allow shell access and just have phpMyAdmin and/or theire own adminpanel.I know there's a host here in sweden (123.shellkonto.se) that have shell-access, also found those: www.prchecker.info/web-hosting-ssh.php.As I have my own server I have both shell access and phpMyAdmin (for free... :) ) and I almost never use ssh/commandprompt to admin MySQL (I used it for other things like apache, mailserver, torrents, etc), I use phpMyAdmin as it's much easier to work with then with commands when it comes to MySQL.The main things you should look for when choosing host is: PHP (5 +), MySQL (Linux is an advantage), ftp-access, enough space and low cost. One of my favorite hosts are one.com which gives you all that to a very low cost... (Didn't mean to sound like a seller, the fact is that it's a good host...):?)

Most webhosts don't allow shell access and just have phpMyAdmin and/or theire own adminpanel.I know there's a host here in sweden (123.shellkonto.se) that have shell-access, also found those: www.prchecker.info/web-hosting-ssh.php.As I have my own server I have both shell access and phpMyAdmin (for free... :) ) and I almost never use ssh/commandprompt to admin MySQL (I used it for other things like apache, mailserver, torrents, etc), I use phpMyAdmin as it's much easier to work with then with commands when it comes to MySQL.The main things you should look for when choosing host is: PHP (5 +), MySQL (Linux is an advantage), ftp-access, enough space and low cost. One of my favorite hosts are one.com which gives you all that to a very low cost... (Didn't mean to sound like a seller, the fact is that it's a good host...):?)
I don't think he understands Swedish, unless he does :) But I've heard lots of bad stuff about one.com, and that you shouldn't use it because they lie about what you get. I searched for "php 5 mysql phpmyadmin host" at Google, and I found this host: http://www.green.de/int/de/hosting/linux/default.asp. Looks fine

Windows: it's for ASP and ASP.net codingLinux: it's for PHP codingYes, it's a operativsystem, just that it's free compared to Windows. If you are quick, you can request free cd's if you want Linux as your operativsystem. They are sending out the new version of Ubuntu in 2 days I think. (www.uuntu.com)

First: Anders, I don't expect him to understand swedish (I could left out the link to shellkonto, but I didn't), then I would like to here what things you have heard, so far it worked fine for one of the sites i'm working on (only problem is that's a bit slow sometimes), and it is about as cheap as you can get it.Yes Linux (to be strict, it's called GNU/Linux, as Linux only are the kernel) is an (superior... [that goes for the whole *nix group]) OS (it's abit similar to Mac OS, as both are "versions of unix").What you have on your own computer doesn't matter in this case, as it's what the host is running that's interesting. Most hosts does use GNU/Linux (or *BSD) and apache (can't remember the %), but some don't.GNU/Linux (or *nix) is always to preffer (espacially when it comes to servers), it's abit more secure (mainly because there's a lot less viruses and such written for *nix). It also tends to be more stable, and cheaper. In my opinion it has a superior file-system layout too.If we would be more specific, the preffered distributions would be (again, my opinion) Debian or Ubuntu (same, same but different..), but that is something that you (as a normal customer to a host) don't need to be concerned with.Hope that cleraed things up for you. I would gladly answer any questions you have on *nix and/or webhosting..EDIT::Note on Anders reply: You can run both ASP and ASP.net on GNU/Linux (as one.com among others) and you can also run PHP (with IIS or Apache) on M$ Win.The thing is that PHP is almost "native on *nix" (Couldn't come up with a better world) as VB and ASP is "native on win". It's often much easier to get PHP working in *nix than win (was along time ago I used PHP on win, so i may have changed...).

Note on Anders reply: You can run both ASP and ASP.net on GNU/Linux (as one.com among others) and you can also run PHP (with IIS or Apache) on M$ Win.The thing is that PHP is almost "native on *nix" (Couldn't come up with a better world) as VB and ASP is "native on win". It's often much easier to get PHP working in *nix than win (was along time ago I used PHP on win, so i may have changed...).
Yes, I know you can, but I didn't say that.

It feels like I've heard that nam before, but can't say that I know who he am.I live in a villgae about 20km outside th city called Lidköping (mid-sized town), called Söne, in the west of Sweden.Here'a a link to Google Maps ;?)

It's often much easier to get PHP working in *nix than win (was along time ago I used PHP on win, so i may have changed...).
I've never installed PHP on Linux (I've had bad experiences with Linux...), but it is actually pretty easy to install PHP on Windows. I've done it several times myself with several different versions of PHP, and I've repaired several installations that other people have started. But I guess I have a secret to installing PHP on Windows successfully. My secret is that I actually read the documentation online on how to install. Every installation I have had to repair, I just start going through the installation steps and, sure enough, I find a note or step or something that whoever installed it didn't bother to read. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that installing PHP on Windows is very easy as long as you read and follow the instructions to the letter. If you don't bother to read the documentation, you can spend hours trying to figure out why it's not working. I swear, 50% of the questions people post on this forum could be answered if they just read the documentation, but I guess replying with "LOL n00b RTFM" isn't really the best way to go about it.

It feels like I've heard that nam before, but can't say that I know who he am.I live in a villgae about 20km outside th city called Lidköping (mid-sized town), called Söne, in the west of Sweden.Here'a a link to Google Maps ;?)
well if you have heard of Magnus Samuelson (strongest man winner many years in a row)Lars taught that guy to be strong too :-)

astralaaron: Sure i know of Magnus Samuelson ;?)NOTE: Ego warningjustsomeguy: I guess you and I have had different experience when it comes to Linux and Win. I can't say that I ever had a plessant or enjoyable time when using Win (and it almost hurts to call win ""userfriendly""). But when i used Linux (mandrake, but still it's linux :) ) it felt like home. I have never had a problem in Linux that I couldn't handle and I can customize it almost how ever I want whithout much fuzz.But win is harder to customize (in the same way), it's often harder to get a reasonable help, a call to helpdesk can sound like this (if you baught a PC from HP, with win pre-installed):HP: Well, I'm can't help you with that problem I don't know how to fix it. Call Microsoft helpdeskMS: So you baught it from HP, with a OEM-license, then we can't help you, it's either HP or the store where you baught it that would help you.YOU: Ok, HP told me to call you, so why can't you help me??MS: We don't offer support on OEM-licenses, it's the retailers job to give your support on our products (Ok, they don't say that last straight to you, but that's what they mean..)I have heard of many calls that went that way (it's a bit simplifiied, but you get the idea).(I know the "professional support" for Linux isn't that big, but they're more helpfull plus there's a big community that gladly help others in most cases)Besides GNU/Linux is free (as in freedom, but also [in many cases] free as in free beer) and comes in many shapes and tastes, the only thing I'm missing is age of Empires and Photoshop... :?)I'll never go back to windows (I have installed XP using vmware...) and absolutely not Vista

It seems our experiences do differ. I haven't had many problems with Windows for several years, since the days of fixing other people's 98SE and ME installations. But my personal machine has been running smoothly for years without any major issues. But, I do think that Microsoft does a much, much better job at making Windows user-friendly than the majority of Linux distros do. With Windows, I can go down to Fry's Electronics or whatever, buy the newest video card out, come home and throw it in my machine and it works fine with minimal effort. It's definately not very user-friendly to have the word "compile" anywhere in the instructions. It's good that programmers can modify the OS and do what they want to do, but the vast majority of computer users are not and do not want to be programmers, so for anyone but an experienced programmer Linux and Unix have always been pretty intimidating. Also, and I'm sure it's probably getting better today, but Linux users are notorious for being l33ter-then-thou, there are many many reports of new users trying to get help from the community and being responded to with phrases like "RTFM". That is not helpful, and it actually makes potential new users turn away from Linux for a long time (trust me, I know). I could respond to half the questions people ask on here like that, but I want to try and encourage people to program, not lead them to believe that programmers are a-holes. I'm sure the Linux community is probably getting better about that, and the distros are hopefully trying to focus on making their products actually user-friendly instead of flaming each other over whether KDE is better then Gnome, or anyone who uses Emacs is a complete loser, or whatever the current infighting topic is. That probably turned me off the most about the Linux community - they have a great operating system that could be the major operating system to compete against, if only they could get together and make the damn thing easy to install, set up, and use. But instead they sit there and flame each other over what windowing system or text editor they use. It all looks pretty adolescent from an outside view. I would love to be a happy Linux user, but instead I ask why the ###### can't I boot to my CD-ROM device, and these are my symptoms, and I get replies about reading megabytes of MAN files and flamed because maybe I don't use the same thing that some other guy has been using since he had sideburns and an afro at Bell labs.So, yeah.. in conclusion, Linux is definately a great OS, it has several good applications, but it has a long way to go before it has the same kind of mass-market usability that Windows does. And infighting in the community is going exactly the wrong direction.

First: I know this is getting off-topicThere's a-holes in every part of the community/society (eaven where you least expect it).It's sad to see that there's alot of them in both Linux- and programmin-forums. Every timeI see a post like RTFM (or alike) I feel like jumping thru the routers on the internet and strangle the poster (I'm not violent..)I can't see the reason to why those peoples hangs on the forums when they are not willing to helo. I'm always willing to help those who need help, eaven if I go too advanced some times.Sadly is that those peoples scare people away, there's no logic in theire behaviour)I'm also sad to say that you've right when it's comes to installing new hardware.There's many reason to why it's this way, one is that MS have ALOT bigger budget and can handle default drivers that maches many different cards etc. And because windows is the most popular OS (much thanks to IBM [in the beginning], but also most other PC-makers) most companies only make drivers and/or softwares that work with windows (and in some cases Mac) and leave the *nix-community behind (Nivida is one of the more "kinder"). This will become more true when Vista beginns to hit the customers. Vista will force most developers/makers to only make software and components that works with Vista (it will cost too much to develop for other systems), which will make it harder for Linux users to use new components and developers to make drivers that work with the new components.It's sad that there's not more producers that make drivers for *nix, and it's sad that it should be so hard (in some cases) to get hardware to work with *nix, most work thanks to developers that makes "half-good" drivers on theirs spare-time (they should get much more credit then they get, they're doing a great work, but's not enough). The later versions of the hotplug-system is real good.I would never recommend anyone to use windows (espacially not Vista) (I know it's often easy to install, besides headaches from saving old userdata and files, partitions [mostely what I've heard] etc. ), for the desktop I recommend either Mac OS or Ubuntu, for servers I recommend Ubuntu/Debian or *BSD. (as I said earlier I use XP in VmWare for Photoshop)When it comes to installing new software it's (again) sad that some software needs compilation (in my experience it's about 1 on 25, more or less [often less ... 1 on 50 perhaps]). One great reason to why I preffer Debian/Ubuntu is that there's almost no compilation.I reinstalled ubuntu last week here's how it went:1. download and burn iso-file.2. boot (it's an live cd) (It finds my both network cards, ethernet and wifi and let me configure the wlan with no problem,it chooses DHCP by default)3. choose he install-icon4. A wizard starts that guides you thru the installation (yes, graphical)5. I choosed a more advanced installation way to keep my home-dir and "data-dir" (both seperate partitions), partioned the disk and choosed mount-points (this wouldn't be needed in a less advanced or fresh install) Sadly the installation-script had bug, but a search in the ubuntu-forum fixed that (I hope they fix that bug soon)5. The installation goes for a while, installing everything you need (It finds my both network cards, ethernet and wifi and let me configure the wlan with no problem,it chooses DHCP by default)6. Reboot7. Login8. You have (almost) complete system (browser, word-processors, editors, games, gimp, mail-client, IM etc.)9. As I needed a some more software: VLC, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Bluefish (editor with a file-tree in the UI), KDevelop etc. I started synaptic (or Package handler), it asks for my password for security. Synaptic shows you a list of categories of different apps (all searchable) (you can add repositories to expand the list to contain the apps you need) I choose the apps (you can also choose to reinstall and uninstall), click on apply, it checks dependencies and then download the packages, installs them and it's all done.10. DoneNow that wasn't too hard ;?)Synaptic runs checks in regular intervals and will tell you if there's an update (both for all software installed via apt/synaptic and the OS) and ask you (it's not in your face...) if you want to download and install the updates, no problem (where win only checks for OS components, the rest is up to the different apps).There's no need to compile anything, it's all done by automatic, just push the button, wait for the downloads and then it will start installing (somw software may need configuration, if so the program tells you and you get some fields to fill in...)No choosing where to install the files etc.The root comes "inactive" by default (the password is a random string),but you can user sudo to do things as root, it will ask you for your password.Hotplugging works great, insert your memory-stick, cd or camera, it finds it an mounts it by automatic (just as in win).the CD is mounted in /media/cdrom by default, memory-stick in ex: /media/name (/media/H300 for my mp3-player and /media/CORSAIR for my memory-stick). There's also no problem mounting a NAS.I must agree on that the developers should stop fiting about which Window-/Desktop-manager that's best (it's GNOME, Xfce and Fluxbox btw).They should try to work together to make a better system and apps, we know they can they just need to put their ego away.Didn't get that thing about unable to boot the CD-ROM device....

It's sad to see that there's alot of them in both Linux- and programmin-forums. Every time
Yeah, I guess some people just need to stroke their ego so they come online and talk down to everyone. I'll say it again, whoever invents a machine to slap someone across the internet is going to be rich. Rich!The last time I tried to install Debian was probably 5 or 6 years ago, so I'm sure it's improved since then. I'll probably give it a shot again in the future, there's just nothing compelling me to do that now.I've been irked by the driver situation for a while. I was talking with someone else about it, and we concluded that instead of having separate OS-dependent drivers, the drivers should be included on the hardware itself in a machine-independent format, maybe a driver for x86 processors, one for RISC machines, whatever. That way you could stick a piece of hardware in any machine and not have to install anything to get it to work, it would just read the drivers from the device itself. So yeah, the way things are now it's all up to vendors to write the drivers for everything, and if a vendor doesn't want to write a driver for OSX or BSD or whatever, then it's not going to get done. If only it were different..

Yeah, I guess some people just need to stroke their ego so they come online and talk down to everyone. I'll say it again, whoever invents a machine to slap someone across the internet is going to be rich. Rich!
I know I'd by at least three ;?)
The last time I tried to install Debian was probably 5 or 6 years ago, so I'm sure it's improved since then. I'll probably give it a shot again in the future, there's just nothing compelling me to do that now.
It has, and now we have Ubuntu, it's very easy to use and most "standard components" (ex. most wifi-card use the same base) work.It's a realy good idea.We need to join together and make the companies do that, together we are strong. ;?)