Firefox Developer Tools is amazing!

henryhenry

I really have to say, if you don't already use it then install the firefox developer tools now! It really is a dream for CSS. For example, today I discovered that it can tell me all the CSS styles applied to a particular element - even ones set by the browser - so no more guessing what is causing an annoying div to be out of place!!! Such a relief! Anyway... I only just discovered it and thought I'd share - it really is incredibly useful.Here it is: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60Does anyone know about anything equivalent for IE (or Opera?)Henry

if there was an equivalent one for errors in IE, then the whole computer will either blow up, melt into a pile of metal goo and then blow up or - crash, cause the system to lock up, complete data loss, erases windows and installs windows 95, wont recognise anything, including itself, proclaims that the computer doesn't exist in the time space continium, and then melt into a pile of metal and plastic goo and then blow up.

And yes, there is the IE Developer's Toolbar, and Opera has a version of a similar toolset included in their versions since 9.20. Access it via Tools > Advanced > Developer Console.And wait until you try Firebug, another FF add-on/Extension.

I'm on board as well, the FF Web Developer tool bar is a must have; my only complaint is that if you have the plugin to switch rendering engines and switch to the IE rendering engine the tools pretty much don't work in IE mode -- but hey we can't expect them to fix all of microsoft's shortcommings.The 'developer toolbar' for IE leaves a lot to be desired, its crashed XP on me at least once and is otherwise not nearly as pleasant or intuitive. My main complaint about the IE tools is that you have to click on each menu to open it, you can't focus the control then mouse over to navigate the way you do in pretty much every other menu for the last decade. Its just a silly UI issue that should take about 20 minutes to fix - which means it'll never happen.My favorite item has to be [information] > [display element information] (CTL+SHIFT+F) it can't be much more convenient that that.

And wait until you try Firebug, another FF add-on/Extension.
Yeah, I have to say that since I installed Firebug, I have only ever used the Web Developer extension three or four times. Typically to outline all the images on a page or resize the browser window to a standard size. Otherwise, everything I need is in Firebug.

Just installed FireBug, looks promising, have to use it for a bit.I did have to install it, restart, uninstall, restart, and install again before it showed up correctly; might only need to restart twice... anywho - it works.IE Developer Toolbar isn't terrible from a functional standpoint, but I agree its 'graphically poor' -- looks like someone went out of there way to make it look like it was written in some old version of visual basic.