error message

music_lp90

I just opened a new hosting account for a site I am building for my father. When I purchased the account I purchased a linux host, but they put the hosting account into my account, so I had to have them move the account. When they did they put it on a Windows server. Could that be the reason for this error message? I had it working on my linux account, but now I'm trying to move his stuff into his account. Maybe I just typed something wrong in his connection script, but I can't find anything.Error message:Title: <input type="text" name="title" value="Could not connect: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL clientThanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

What the function call to mysql_connect look like, how are you telling it to connect? Clearly the server doesn't support something that you are trying to use. It actually sounds to me like Windows is trying to connect to MySQL using NT authentication, and MySQL is not down with that.

This is the code:

<?php$con = mysql_connect ("myhost","username","dbName");if (!$con){die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());}mysql_select_db("main", $con);$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM welcome");while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){echo $row['title'];}mysql_close($con);?>

I've checked and made sure my host, username, password, database, and password are correct. I don't think I'm doing anything different than when I was on linux.

What version of MySQL do you have? Since it says "consider upgrading MySQL client".. Maybe the version of MySQL you have is like too old?I have only used the newest version of MySQL so..

What version of MySQL do you have? Since it says "consider upgrading MySQL client".. Maybe the version of MySQL you have is like too old?I have only used the newest version of MySQL so..
I tried using both MySQL 4.1 and MySQL 5, but both said the same thing. I just switched the hosting account from a Windows account to a Linux one, which is what I was using when I was building the site that isn't working now. I'm still waiting for the account to be setup, but I'm hoping that will fix it. If it does I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the replies.

Ok, its working now. I don't know for sure whether it was a windows problem or not. Once I switched it over to linux it stopped giving me that message and pointed out that I made an error on line 98. I changed the error and it works. At least when it was on the linux server it gave me a message that was helpful.

Archived