problem with charset 1250

denny911

helloi use PhpMyAdmin for administering mySql database. when using it, it displays central-european characters (č,ć,đ) way it is supposed. but, when i retrieve my records on my PHP pages, any of those characters is represented as "?" character.during my first installation of MySQL, i set character encoding to UTF-8. but later, after being aware of my problem, i uninstalled it and installed it again, setting encoding to cp-1250 this time.BUT, when i enter PhpMyAdmin, it says MySQL charset is STILL utf-8 !!!!i really dont know what to do. i feel that everything would change if i could change database charset.if there's someone who had this problem, please let me know.Thanks in advance!Denis K.

On the first page of PHPMyAdmin isnt there a form to change the encoding? It wouldnt do anything to the database.. Just display the correct letters.

On the first page of PHPMyAdmin isnt there a form to change the encoding? It wouldnt do anything to the database.. Just display the correct letters.
well, there's no form, i cheched it thousand of times.it just says whats the encoding type and thats all.it seems like the only way to change it is to reinstall mySQL but i've already done that and there wasn't any effect (it still says the charset is utf-8).there must be some way to do it...

The character set is set per-database, not per-server. In phpMyAdmin, click on the database from the menu, click on the Operations tab, and you can change the collation to cp-1250.
the thing is, i've already set collation to cp-1250. it still doesnt work, though.there must be some other workaround..any ideas? :)

No, that's the way to do it. If you have the collation set to 1250, and it is saving everything as UTF-8, obviously it's not doing what you asked. You might try checking in the documentation for MySQL or phpMyAdmin, but that would seem like the way to change it.

Archived