From Front Page ...... to Web Expression

Enilette

It says in the W3S Hosting tutorial "If you plan to use FrontPage, you should look for a Windows hosting solution (meaning not Unix / Linux)."What about the new prog from Microsoft which is overtaking Front page? Does the same apply?

Yes, you see "Windows Hosting Plan" means the web files will be stored on a Windows server, and Windows of course is part of Microsoft. So it stands to reason that programs made by Microsoft will only run on Microsoft servers, and programs made by Linux, will only run on Linux servers.

The reason MS servers are recommended for Front Page is because Front Page had certain server extensions which MS support by default. Expression Web doesn't have those extensions as far as I'm aware. At least not currently, so I guess it's safe to use any host with it. It's also safe to use any host with Front Page as long as you haven't used those server extensions.

programs made by Linux, will only run on Linux servers.
I just want to point out that Linux is a product, not a corporation, foundation, or group of people. Linux doesn't make anything, Linux gets developed by other people.

Archived