rating

prichardson

I am trying to get when someone adds a new rating for a video that it adds to the database. The problem it does not "add" when the video being rated the second time . I.e. If the video the first time was rated 5 and on the second time it is rated also 5 it should be 10 but it ends up as 55. Can anyone see the problem in my code?

<%dim strTotalVotersdim strTotalScore strTotalVoters  = (rsDisplayVideo.Fields.Item("Video_Rating_Total_Voters").Value)strTotalScore  = (rsDisplayVideo.Fields.Item("Video_Rating_Total_Score").Value)%><% If request.Form("action") = "rate" thendim strRequestTotalScore dim strRequestTotalVotersFinaldim strRequestTotalScoreFinal dim strVideo_IDstrVideo_ID					= (Request.Form("VideoID"))strRequestTotalScore		  = CINT(Request.Form("Video_Rating_Total_Score"))strRequestTotalVotersFinal	= strTotalVoters+1strRequestTotalScoreFinal 	= strRequestTotalScore + strTotalScorestrUpdateSQL = strDBDateFormat & "UPDATE NNS_Video SET "strUpdateSQL = strUpdateSQL & "Video_Rating_Total_Score = "  & strRequestTotalScore & request.Form("rRate") &  ", "strUpdateSQL = strUpdateSQL & "Video_Rating_Total_Voters = " & strRequestTotalVotersFinal & " "strUpdateSQL = strUpdateSQL & "WHERE VideoID=" & strVideo_ID & ""Call subUpdateRecord(strUpdateSQL)Response.Redirect("../member/member_search_results.asp")End If%>

Like this:

strRequestTotalScoreFinal = cint(strRequestTotalScore) + cint(strTotalScore)

??I have tried this but it still seems to put the total score: 5+5 as 55 rather than 10!Is the rest of the code i put in my first post coorect? Should i make the strings integers before this line? Please tell me if the code above should work and if not- what code would make it work?Many thanks

Do it as early as necessary. If the values are getting concatenated then they are being treated as strings, so cast them to integers as soon as you need to. You can also add 0 to something to cast the value to an integer.

Archived