DOM - nodeValue

K_Drive

I am just getting my feet wet with the DOM and changing values with it.I am trying to get a node's value. I am using the OReilly book "Web Design In A Nutshell" examples.Here is my simplified web page where I tried three ways of getting the node value of the first <h5> element.I will also add that, when I get the innerHTML value of the <div id="section01">, I do get all the elements - except that the tags are all uppercase. I tried changing my code to all uppercase, but this did not help. (Could this be an IE problem?)I am using IE 6.When you view the page and click on the [ Button ], you get three alert boxes. Each should display the node value, but the value is showing as being null.Am I missing something simple here?I would appreciate help with this.Sincerely,Ken

<html><head><script language="Javascript">function displaySubtitle(theDiv){var text = document.getElementById(theDiv).getElementsByTagName( 'h4' )[0].nodeValuealert("1. Value = "+text)var divId = document.getElementById(theDiv)var elementH4 = divId.getElementsByTagName('h4')var firstH4 = elementH4[0]var firstH4Value = firstH4.nodeValuealert("2. Value = "+firstH4Value)var text03 = document.getElementById(theDiv).firstChild.nodeValuealert("3. Value = "+text)}</script></head><body><div id="section01">   <h4>Subtitle 0001</h4>   <h4 onClick="displaySubtitle('section01')">[ Button ]</h4>   <p>This is the first paragraph of text in the DOM Document.</p>   <p>This is the second paragraph of text in the DOM Document.</p></div></body></html>

Thanks for the answer.I know that I can set the value, but I guess I cannot get it.I was doing some research at MSDN.com and found that .nodeValue does work, but it is different from what I am trying to do. The MSDN web page sets the value. I am trying to get it.Below is the link to the MSDN page.Note: This page has the following quote:"If the object is an element, the nodeValue returns null. . . ."Here is the link:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms534192.aspxHere is the script from that page that I modified so that it would be a full, working web page:I will do more research on this.Thanks. I do appreciate your answer.Ken (K_Drive)

<html><head><script>function fnChangeValue(oList, iItem){   var i   // only perform the operation on lists   if (oList.nodeName != "UL" && oList.nodeName != "OL")	  return false;   // only perform the operation if the specified index is    // within the acceptable range of available list items   if (iItem > oList.childNodes.length -1)	  return false;   // get a reference to the specified list item   var oLI = oList.childNodes(i);   if (!oLI)	  return false;   // get a reference to the text node contained by the list item   var oText = oLI.childNodes(0);   // ensure that the node is a text node   if (oText.nodeType != 3)	  return false;   var exchangeVal = document.getElementById("oList")   var textVal = exchangeVal.getAttribute("text01")   var sValue   if (textVal == "New Node Value")	  {	  exchangeVal.setAttribute("text01", "Old Node Value")	  sValue = "New Node Value"	  }   else	  {	  exchangeVal.setAttribute("text01", "New Node Value")	  sValue = "Old Node Value"	  }   oText.nodeValue = sValue;   return true;}</SCRIPT></head><body><UL ID="oList" text01="Old Node Value" onclick="fnChangeValue(this, 0)"><LI>New Node Value</LI></UL></body></html>

Archived