XMLHttpRequest

yoshida

Is using the XMLHttpRequest to load a page into a div, technology which is also known as AJAX, a good substitute for using frames? I'd like to create a CSS menu, of which the buttons are event triggers to do so. Think 'serversided scripting'.I was waiting for a good alternative for iFrame, and this might be it.

It definately is, as long as the user has JavaScript enabled on their browser. If not, you can show a nice message using the <noscript> tags, just saying that to use your website to it's full potential they will need to enable JS, or something similar to that. You should take a quick look at The Leaky Cauldron.org. They load all of their content using AJAX.

The 3D-book thingie crashed my browser.I intend to use a serverscript to read if the user has JS enabled, and switch to a serversided version when needed (other template, same content).I also intend to make a headline ticker in the footer, to make the user aware there's no reload required. (another kind of jelly on the same slice of toast)

Good god, the front page of that site is nearly 900KB. After a couple clicks over 1.1MB had been loaded. That's probably unnecessary, but I guess it's a good example.
What do you think caused that 'information overload'? The script itself, or the images/artwork/3D-thingie etc? The XMLHttpRequest is intended to save bandwidth, since it's only reloading one div at a time.

Archived