How much to charge?

MrAdam

I know there's a few other posts suggesting some rough prices to charge, but they weren't really personal enough to my experience. I've created only one proper website that's viewable on the internet (www.minimerc.co.uk). Im not particularly amazing at graphics, but im teaming up with my friend for this next job, so it will look visually better.I have a meeting with him later on today, and I was unsure of how much to charge. I've seen all different amounts that people request per hour, but it seems quite steep for the experience I have. Plus he's quite old and I don't wanna frighten him off cause I really do need the money.What he wants from the website is a fairly small business website, that he can simply give out the address for people to find out more information. Also he would like a contact form so they can email him off the website and an RSS feed from ebay, displaying whatever he's currently selling. So only 4 static HTML pages with 2 PHP pages (plus of course the design and consultation fee).But, I'm totally clueless as to how much I should charge?If anyone could help that'd be great!

It matters a lot on what price is considered "much" at your region. For that, here in Bulgaria, I'd charge somewhere between 50 to 100 levas or 100 to 200 in case something else comes up (such as having trouble getting the ebay feed). That is between 35 and 70 dollars or 25 to 50 euros (for the 50 to 100 range). Here however, people don't have a great income, electic bills are rising every season and credit cards are just starting to get popular. Even with them, people tend to have a plan in advance, lowering prices for non-professionals a lot. Where you live, this price might be funny.

Design in a way that his business grow and he comes back for further development. In this case you can charge minimum (say £200) for now. Since you know he is going to grow due to your design, so he will come back soon and will be paying you more for further developments. Soon you will become part of his business, his success will be your success. He may also recommend others for your services.Your client must get value for money. If your work increases his profit, he will be happy to pay you more later. You can also link cost to produce those pages with his profit from your work.Keep your options open and don't let client go elsewhere.

Archived