ActionScript 3.0?

Shonumi

Within the next few months, I plan to begin a project, an application in Flash. Since the new CS3 Pro has full support for ActionScript 3.0, I've been wondering if it's worthwhile to do what I want to do using the latest language. My project utilizes XML, which I've heard AS 3.0 is better equipped, or at least thoroughly more equipped to handle XML. That's a plus, but I don't know much else that it'll do for me. My guess is that AS 3.0 will likely be the standard when it comes to programming with Flash in the coming future, and as my planned project is down the road, I'm wondering if it will be smart just to adopt AS 3.0 now. My other concerns are compatibility issues with previous Flash players. I know AS 3.0 has been out since '06, but now that it's fully supported, just taking precautions into account. So, should I move to AS 3.0 or just stick with what works for now?

The only issue is the Flash player. It might be worth it to determine which players (at least > 8) support Actionscript 3, try to find some numbers on how many people have that version installed, and decide if you want to limit your user base to those people.

Archived