selectiong data

user4fun

$website = $_GET['website'];$file_handle = fopen("co_file_in/'$website'.txt", "r");while (!feof($file_handle)) { $string = fgets($file_handle, 30);echo $string; }fclose($file_handle);

for some reason that is not working, i think the problem is displaying the $website wth the fopen statement,also, can i pick a certain line from the txt file, say mabe line 10thank you

fopen("co_file_in/'$website'.txt", "r");Do you want single quotes in the filename? Because they are around the variable.If you want to look at the 10th line, you need to use explode to break up the file by lines (explode on the \n character), and then go to the 10th element in the array, that will be the 10th line.

Why not just use file() instead of fopen? it automatically puts the contents of a file into an array(with each item of the array being 1 line in the file).

Using file() :

$website = $_GET['website'];$line = file("co_file_in/$website.txt"); //Stores an array of the file's linesecho $line[9]; //Echoes the tenth line (but with line 1 = subscript 0)

Using explode() :

$website = $_GET['website'];$filename = "co_file_in/$website.txt";$file_handle = fopen($filename, "r");$string = fread($file_handle, filesize($filename)); //Gets the entire file in one variable$line = explode("\n", $string); //Splits the string into an array, each value has one lineecho $line[9]; //Echoes the tenth line (but with line 1 = subscript 0)fclose($file_handle);

The file() method is better, as it is obviously more efficient :)

Synook took the words right out of my mouth. Although i must say if you are going to use the fopen method, you'd be better off using preg_split as different OS-es use different new line characters. Some use \n, others use \r\n, and even more use \r. So you can't just assume that \n is the answer(unless you have specifically used \n in every portion of your code then nevermind this small rant).

Archived