Does HTML Tidy do tag indents?

htmlnewbie23

This may not be the right forum to ask this but using the W3 validator page I just discovered it has an option to use HTML TIDY a utility I was not familiar with. Not sure if it was in the older page or not.It's pretty nifty but I noticed that the code it produced removed all the tag indents I so carefully placed and that permit me to zero in on missing closing tags and other problems. The absence of indents for the tag sections seems like a shame to me. Is it just an option that is not turned on by the validator version or is it just the way HTML TIDY works?Are tag indents not used any more?

Tidy will indent tags. I haven't seen the changed validator, but you might have to view the source code to get the indenting. Or, you can download another program that uses Tidy like PSPad and have it do the formatting, it will indent.

Tidy will indent tags. I haven't seen the changed validator, but you might have to view the source code to get the indenting. Or, you can download another program that uses Tidy like PSPad and have it do the formatting, it will indent.
Thank you. I'll explore that.

I use the Firefox Browser and the HTML Tidy extension. There is a 'clean-up' option and you can specify the number of spaces for indentation in the view source/cleanup screen.

Archived