str_replace

user4fun

$firstvar = "aaa&SomeMoreStuff"$newvar = i want to replace every thing from start up to and including the {&} with FOUND.$newvar should becomeFOUNDSomeMoreStuffsome $firstvar would have more than aaait could be anything elsehere is what i have

$firstvar = "aaa&SomeMoreStuff";$newvar = str_replace("&","FOUND",$firstvar);echo $newvar;

result is aaaFOUNDSomeMoreStuffneed to get rid of every thing before FOUND

There's no way to do that with str_replace(). You'll need to use regular expressions with ereg_replace() or something like it.I'm not sure, but I think this might do what you want:

$firstvar = "aaa&SomeMoreStuff";$newvar = ereg_replace('^.*\&','FOUND',$firstvar);echo $newvar;

Search Google for "regex tutorial" or "regular expressions" to find more about regular expressions, which is the first argument of this function.

Otherwise you would need to use strpos to find the position of the &, and then use substr to get everything after it. You can add the FOUND text onto the beginning yourself.

$pos = strpos($str, "&");if ($pos !== false){  $str = "FOUND" . substr($str, $pos);}

Archived