VALIDATE Email

user4fun

You can use regular expression, something like that

if (!eregi("^[a-z0-9]+([_\\.-][a-z0-9]+)*" . "@" . "([a-z0-9]+([\.-][a-z0-9]+)*)+" . "\\.[a-z]{2,4}" . "$",$Email)) {	// ...}

I'd suggest using filter like so:

if (filter_var($email, FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL)) {$status= "NOTOK";//some more stuff}

smaller, easier, maybe faster and probably more secure (as you're relying on a prewriten check specifically for that).

• 1 month later...
I'd suggest using filter like so:
if (filter_var($email, FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL)) {$status= "NOTOK";//some more stuff}

smaller, easier, maybe faster and probably more secure (as you're relying on a prewriten check specifically for that).

I was very happy to find this post, but found a problem with it.

didn't work....So i changed it to...

if (!filter_var($email, FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL)) {$status= "NOTOK";//some more stuff}

That seems to work... if i am wrong, please let me know

Hi Diegar. Here is the code I found on the net, by a user named aslav

function validateEmail ( $email ){   // Create the syntactical validation regular expression   $regexp = "^([_a-z0-9-]+)(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@([a-z0-9-]+)(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\.[a-z]{2,4})$";   // Presume that the email is invalid   $valid = 0;   // Validate the syntax   if (eregi($regexp, $email))   {	  list($username,$domaintld) = split("@",$email);	  if (getmxrr($domaintld,$mxrecords))		 $valid = 1;   } else {	  $valid = 0;   }   return $valid;}

I did not code this myself, and do not take credit for it. But I have used it and it works perfect for me. I like it because it check to see if that domain is true. Hooch

That seems to work... if i am wrong, please let me know
Depends what is meant by NOTOK, if that means that the email address is bad, then you are right.

I use the follow code, it has worked great for me so far. I forgot where I got it from, but you can do a quick google search and get some results:

function check_email_address($email)  {  // First, we check that there's one @ symbol, and that the lengths are right	if (!ereg("^[^@]{1,64}@[^@]{1,255}$", $email)) {	  // Email invalid because wrong number of characters in one section, or wrong number of @ symbols.	  return false;	}	// Split it into sections to make life easier	$email_array = explode("@", $email);	$local_array = explode(".", $email_array[0]);	for ($i = 0; $i < sizeof($local_array); $i++) {	  if (!ereg("^(([A-Za-z0-9!#$%&'*+/=?^_`{|}~-][A-Za-z0-9!#$%&'*+/=?^_`{|}~\.-]{0,63})|(\"[^(\\|\")]{0,62}\"))$", $local_array[$i])) {		return false;	  }	}	if (!ereg("^\[?[0-9\.]+\]?$", $email_array[1])) { // Check if domain is IP. If not, it should be valid domain name	  $domain_array = explode(".", $email_array[1]);	  if (sizeof($domain_array) < 2) {		return false; // Not enough parts to domain	  }	  for ($i = 0; $i < sizeof($domain_array); $i++) {		if (!ereg("^(([A-Za-z0-9][A-Za-z0-9-]{0,61}[A-Za-z0-9])|([A-Za-z0-9]+))$", $domain_array[$i])) {		  return false;		}	  }	}	return true;  }

Also, the best way to make sure that the e-mail address is valid is to send the user an e-mail message that he/she has to open and click a link to verify it.

Archived