DESIGN OPINION

user4fun

Myself and a group of people got together and put this site. I am the designer since i am the one the new the most about web design ( which is not much at all)If you would be so kind to toss your 2 cents, it would be great.http://www.i-s-a-f-e.comI would think this is not considerd adverstising because i dont ask any one for money anywhere on the site.Thank youAlready tossed in their 2 cents1-spugeek -THANK YOU

I would work on alignment on things like:'Register | Forgot username and password?''"We strive to protect online consumers form fake businesses by building a strong reliable community of verified internet-S-A-F-E businesses and do it all for FREE."'and also the buttons need work on the alignment.

Also, use a sans-serif font :)Some typos: "Over a 100 Members" should be "Over 100 Members", "FAQ's" should be "FAQs", "We strive to protect online consumers form fake businesses " should be "We strive to protect online consumers from fake businesses".And yes, the buttons are horribly out of their proper vertical alignment in FireFox.

Needs a lot of alignment fixes (in firefox anyway, not check IE). Buttons could do with looking a bit nicer.

you would need to download & install them.Really, Opera and Firefox are the ones you need to check[becauser they use a different engine than Internet Explorer.]also firefox had an extension that allows you to switch between the Mozilla engine and IE's engine.

OK Alignment?Your screen is different that mine and differet that every one else?how do you make sure it looks the same to every one? that pic on top? never seen that alignemet issue before, looks fine on my computer?When it comes to the page, pics, tables etc?what do i need to doHave the table all based on % width and height?make it pixel specific? dont use many tables cause they are bad??what do i need to do.

To get typed text on top of image you can do one of 2 things. Make the image a background image. Or, you can use Z-index in CSS. That's explained in W3schools.And a suggestion to fix the alignment problem is one of two things, use fixed pixels to define tables, and then comtain them in a big table. That would basically force the entire page to be fixed in that contained table or div for any sized monitor.Or you can use percentages, I DO NOT recommend this as it doesn't always work. 2% of one screen is vastly different than 2% of another screen.The only problem with using fixed pixel containment is that there will be white spaces to the left and right of the containment box, but there already is that in here, so i don't think it's such a problem.Edit: btw, divs may not seem useful, but that's all i use now. It's the MOST useful tool for aligning stuff. You can basically do anything you'v imagined with that. Div works best with CSS.

I am trying to learn the DIV tags,here is a question <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="760" background="http://" height="31"> <div id="menu" align="right" >| <a href="faq.php">FAQs</a> | </div>Why is the div id menu is not showing up on top of the image inside the table?

You forget to define the table row <tr> and table data cell <td> tags, also you can use CSS for the other table properties:

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse:collapse; border:0px; width:760px; height:31px; background-image:url(the_background_image.jpg); ">	<tr>		<td>			<div id="menu" align="right" >				| <a href="faq.php">FAQs</a> | 			</div>		</td>	</tr></table>

I am trying to learn the DIV tags,here is a question <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="760" background="http://" height="31"> <div id="menu" align="right" >| <a href="faq.php">FAQs</a> | </div>Why is the div id menu is not showing up on top of the image inside the table?
first of all, waht is your style in id=menu that's very important, do not do any background thing for id menu. Secondly, your style coding for your table is flawed. If you have 0 border, why is there border color? Thirdly, do not use align=right in your div. Use your css code for id menu to align it.Fourthly, you did not specify TR and TD tags in your table (probably the problem).Lastly, *just suggestion for good habbit coding* always end your style code with ;

FIRE FOX IS THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD??Nothing aligns right on that damn thingif i change it to make firefox look right, IE screws everything upif i fix it to look right in IEfirefox creates its own DISASTER??what am i suppose to do>????????????????????

Incorrect! FireFox is not the "worst" browser, it is just a "different" browser. If I designed my pages so that they looked good in FF first, then I would be shouting "INTERNET EXPLORER IS THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD" because nothign would work right on it :)Have a look at conditional comments: http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html

Incorrect! FireFox is not the "worst" browser, it is just a "different" browser. If I designed my pages so that they looked good in FF first, then I would be shouting "INTERNET EXPLORER IS THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD" because nothign would work right on it :)Have a look at conditional comments: http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html
That is exactly how I feel.But a solution is just use pixel for everything and contain it with a specified containment pixels and then just center that containment box so it'll work for IE and FF.I always do FF first. I just like how it reads my code or just used to it. Just preferences I guess.

I do have my thiings very pixeled if you will, expecially the aprt taht dont look right in Firefox, and they still look bad?:-(Could it possible that firefox has it's own definition of what a pixel is? lolThe middle pciture where the "quote" isHalf way down that is 270 pixels, the cell is height 270 pixels, that was the next pciturenav_map.jpg would line right under the first picture.FF has a seperation between and the first pic is repeated.FF is wired, but i still need help.

Archived