back to back connections

anggwaponi

hi and good day again to each and everyone.i would like to ask an opinion or any idea on how to configure two (2) pieces directly connected back-to-back. this is the setup:one pc which has an OS of Win XP is my branded IBM PC300 with 512 memory and the other pc is a clone 586 with a memory of 256MBand an OS of Win98. both computers though not so old or obsolete (for me) are still running smoothly and efficiently. the reasons why i still keep them is that i only used them for word documents which i can say farther that theirs no need for me to upgrade for the meantime as my usage are not that heavy.any way, what will be my settings in my 2-pcs for each Local Area Connections Properties? what Services, Protocols and Client type of network that will be needed to connect? i am not using here a hub but two (2) LAN card in my PC300 and 1-LAN card in my 586. all LAN cards are 3COM though they have different model externally socheted through PCI slot.i am just concern that the configuration will matter and will affect greatly to the functionality as a whole. if you have any expertise, hope it will be shared in here.

So instead of using a hub you want to hook the computers directly from one NIC to the other? A hub would be easier, but if you want to connect the computers directly first you will need a crossover LAN cable, a normal LAN cable won't work. You can tell if the cable is a crossover cable if you hold the two ends of it side-by-side. A normal (or straight-through) cable will have the same order of wires (the same order of colors) in both ends, and a crossover will have some of the wires swapped.

So instead of using a hub you want to hook the computers directly from one NIC to the other? A hub would be easier, but if you want to connect the computers directly first you will need a crossover LAN cable, a normal LAN cable won't work. You can tell if the cable is a crossover cable if you hold the two ends of it side-by-side. A normal (or straight-through) cable will have the same order of wires (the same order of colors) in both ends, and a crossover will have some of the wires swapped.
yes, that is what i'm doing now. in fact, as u may noticed it i a sub-topic, " ... cross connect ... " to emphasized. sorry really perhaps i jut didn't make it clearly stated.but what i'm focusing right now is the configuration setup in its Local Area Connection Properties on what Client, Services and Protocols would i need to install in order for the 2-pcs to talk or communicate properly.besides, although i'm not so sure but i think its OS has little effect even if its XP and Win98 since are both Windows.

Archived