position:fixed

kurt.santo

Applied position:fixed to my masthead div, but then some difs underneath disappear and when you scroll the content obstructs the masthead. CSS is:

#container{width:70%;margin:0 auto;}#contentContainer{background-color:#71889F;border:#08396B thin solid;color:#FFF;}#top{background:#FFF;width:70%;color:#08396B;text-align:left;vertical-align:middle;margin:0;padding:15px 0px 15px 20px;position:fixed;}#nav{background-color:#A0B0BF;padding:10px 20px 10px 200px;text-align:right;}#main{padding:0;margin:0; position:relative;}#content{float:right;padding:20px;margin:0px;width:60%;}#subNav{float:left;padding:0px;width:20%;position:fixed;}

where container is general container, contentContainer is everything without masthead, top is area with global navigation. Main holds content and subNav... Where can I make adjustments?Kurt

link?
The link is http://www.jalp.co.uk/testing/fixed/layout2.htm. Apart from logo (id is top), which should stay in place the rest should sit inside a border and scroll when content is longer than height. I just do not want it to go visibly up if you know what I mean. It should just disappear inside the box as such...I hope no one steels my genius colour combination. It is very unique and hope to earn a good reputation for great colour choices;-) Kurt

look at http://cssplay.co.uk for a similar template to what you want.there are several to pick from, including a fix for ie6.
Had a look on given site. Great examples. Just for my purpose not really what I want (tried those layouts already). Stu achieves that the header stays in place with a set height and overflow on main content container for example. I did not want to create a scrollbar when the text gets too long, but instead just use the normal browser scrollbar on right side of browser window.I am just after a complete "normal" website with a header that always stays visible...Kurt

it has been a couple of years since I worked with that page, so I'm going by memory only... the contents slips up underneath the header?without looking, if I recall correctly, you might need some padding or margin on the top of the content div.

it has been a couple of years since I worked with that page, so I'm going by memory only... the contents slips up underneath the header?without looking, if I recall correctly, you might need some padding or margin on the top of the content div.
Does the job, great! One more question: the width of the site should always be 70%. Should I place a container around just for this purpose? Or do you guys specify for each div the width?Kurt

Archived