copyright issue

louandel

Hi, Anybody clever with web copyright?i was thinking of setting up an online book club with book reviews. Where would i stand as far as copyright is concerned in:

• Reviewing books for others to see
  • Encouraging others to review and rate books on a forum
  • placing a picture of the cover of the book on the site
  • If I wanted to sell my second hand books on my site would i be able to do the above?

thanks for your timelouandel

A review is essentially a new art piece altogether, so no copyright stuff is needed for them. You're free to write reviews and so are others.The only possible problem I see are quotes from books. You need to make an explicit statement that says something like "Quotes should not be longer than three sentences, unless you were the author of the book".Of course you could sell books from your site. Your site is your own territory. Whether the business will be successful is another question.

A review is essentially a new art piece altogether, so no copyright stuff is needed for them. You're free to write reviews and so are others.The only possible problem I see are quotes from books. You need to make an explicit statement that says something like "Quotes should not be longer than three sentences, unless you were the author of the book".Of course you could sell books from your site. Your site is your own territory. Whether the business will be successful is another question.
Thanks for that. I was under the impression taking a photo of a book cover (which is obviously not my art work) and selling it may need a licence. Good news.cheerslouandel :)

Thanks for that. I was under the impression taking a photo of a book cover (which is obviously not my art work) and selling it may need a licence. Good news.cheerslouandel :)
Note that I'm no lawyer, so you should verify this with such. I'm only assuming all I'm telling you.

Thanks for that. I was under the impression taking a photo of a book cover (which is obviously not my art work) and selling it may need a licence. Good news.
Maybe there's something useful in the Fair Use Guidelineshttp://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Generally speaking, you shouldn't really have any problems if you make a couple things very clear either when a visitor reads a review or when on is being submitted (which by the way i would require that all your submitted reviews be proofed before just letting them go live for the world to see). First, I'd build the application so that any book that is being reviewed is submitted with all the correct bibliographic information. That information would be displayed on any page where the text is referenced - even including a link to e a "buy it new" source and then you your link to "buy it used" (conditional on whether or not you have a used copy available). If you want a good model to study, check out http://www.epinions.com/books?tab=1.Good Luck.

The only possible problem I see are quotes from books. You need to make an explicit statement that says something like "Quotes should not be longer than three sentences, unless you were the author of the book".
I think it would be Ok as long as he included quotations around it. For example, "Some quote from the book"- exert from the book. Also, if you copy & paste a picture of the book from the net then you should probably give credit to the source. But if you're taking your own photos, then you should be ok.

I think it would be Ok as long as he included quotations around it. For example, "Some quote from the book"- exert from the book. Also, if you copy & paste a picture of the book from the net then you should probably give credit to the source. But if you're taking your own photos, then you should be ok.
It really just comes down to giving full undisclosed credit for original work. You could quote a paragraph, a page, etc. just be certain that what is quoted is distinguished from other content on the page and that the source is directly/immediately referenced.

Archived