fileZilla or ftp or xftp

anggwaponi

hello again to each and everyone and good day too :) .hope u could teach me how to do file transfer for example between two (2) PCs only [this is for simplicity purposes] using fileZilla or ftp or xftp?i mean what are those "Address", "User", "Password", and "Port"?? where how we could find and to know that it is the right "Address", as well, "Port"?lets say i'm now at home and i have to PCs. though the most simple thing is to used disk kit, CDs, and the "Explore" (for windows, cmd (command) by MS-DOS or DOS, which i usually only knows of), USBs, laplink, back-to-back connections (using crossover connect cable, am i right?), hyper terminal (is it?), and etc. ...i'm more interested of these type fileZilla or ftp or xftp since i guess it will bring up new idea.hope u could somehow show me the way.thanks a lot then.cheers! :)

I have never done this myself, but based on my theoretical knowledge this is what I would say:Direct file transfer, client-to-client, is not what FTP is designed for. You would use FTP to transfer files in a client-server model (e.g. from the client to the server and back) but with two clients as far as I know you will have to set up an FTP server on one of them and then use the FTP client (e.g. FileZilla) on the other (so it becomes client-server). FileZilla also seems to have a server version (FileZilla server) so you could try that.Once you have the computer with the server and the computer with the client connected, you would enter the IP address of the computer with the FTP server on it into the configuration of the client, then set the username and password to match the server's configuration. For port, you will have to tell the server to "listen" on a certain port (FTP by default uses 20 or 21) and enter that into your client's configuration.As far as hardware goes, you will need two computers with network cards, a router or similar, and some cabling (or a wireless router and two wireless NICs). If you have a home network set up, you should have these things already.

You'll probably also have to allow FTP connections through a firewall, and if you have a home router and you want to connect to a machine behind the router from the internet you'll need to set up the router to forward FTP traffic to the FTP server.If you're just trying to transfer files between computers on the same network the easiest way is to just share your folders and then connect to them through Explorer.

hello everyone specially to synook & justsomeguy :) thanks really for the replies the two of u made regarding my inquiry. nevertheless, hope both of u wouldn't mind also if i would like to clarify, verify, or ask more details so at least i would be enligthen and the others too.how would i make my PC as the server (could u please teach me the step-by-step procedure)? how about for the client PC?? i'm not that technically knowleageable or my capabilities are limited on this field or regarding this aspect. well, i could say that using "Explorer" is okay. in fact, i have explained it beforehand. but i think its time also for me to learn other ways. likewise, i can say its also beneficial on your part since it will refresh your thoughts and be a good teacher.i'll be humble enough to follow both your lecture and i'll appreciate it very much in advance.thanks :)

The setup and configuration options are different depending on which server you install. If you download something like the FileZilla server it will come with installation documentation. If you want to use the Microsoft server that may be included with your version of Windows there is a lot of help online for that.http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...amp;btnG=SearchFor FileZilla, you can download the server here. The documentation link doesn't contain anything (way to go open-sourcers), but there seems to be some help in the forum.http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server

how about for the client PC??
For the client PC, just download FileZilla (the client) and install it, then after you have got your server set up you can enter the server's details into the client's configuration.

• 1 month later...

If you decide you want to connect two pcs directly without a hub/router then you will need a crossover cable which is slightly different than a regular patch cable (Basically the TX(Transmit) and RX(Receive) are swapped on one pair on one end).Details can be found here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cableOn both computers you'll need to set static IP addressesEx.Server PC: 192.168.1.2Client PC: 192.168.1.3Then on the client PC connect usingAddress: 192.168.1.2This creates a screaming fast direct ethernet connection between 2 computers.

Archived