Requesting Suggestions

Guest boran

Hello. I am currently planning to do a web project in the summer. I am requesting the following.a.) What is the best type of coding to use for the website (I can learn anything)b.) How I should go about accomplishing the site's objectiveProject: A multigaming clan website.Goals: To create a powerful, easy to manage website wherea.) Infortmation on the clan is easy to accessb.) Every member has an account that gives him special access in certain areas of the sitec.) A point system (In detail below)d.) There is a forum where the member's website account allows him to post (AKA: single account for both website and forum)C is really the tricky part. What I want is for members to earn a certain amount of points for doing certain things. For example, if a member makes a pracitce, he earns 2 points. There should be a page accessable to leaders that allows the leader to insert the number of points the member has earned and for that up to date point number to show up on the member's profile. Suggestions are appreciated.-Boran

Well, as for languages, you are definitely going to need to know the following:1. HTML/XHTML2. CSS3. Javascript4. SQL5. Server Side Language -either PHP, ASP, or ASP.NETMy suggestion is that you spend some time familiarizing yourself with the capabilities of each of these languages and then spend a significant amount of time planning out your project. If you do it right, the code should will be much simpler to write and maintain.I would also suggest you spend a good amount of time looking into how to design a database as that will be an important aspect of your project and a poor database design will cause headaches and problems throughout the rest of the project.I am sure others here will have more suggestions, but this is a starting point at least that I think most will agree with.

yea hes right ur goona have to do alota planning and learnign lucky for u theres w3 schools and it sounds like u want things to update automatically like ur point system might i suggest using perl (An interpreted programming language- Practical Extraction and Report Language.) and then u should store it all in a Mysql DatabaseGood Luck :)

I suggest php. A non-microsoft product,:), it's available on most servers, and is very powerful. As a combination between SQL and PHP, you can create intricate and usable web pages. :)Of course, you'll need knowledge in HTML and CSS as well. I suggest learning a bit of javascript too---it's very important to create dynamic webpages. :(

As Kcarson said, the database structure of your site should be very well thought -- this is really important.And if you learn/understand/have an inclination to programming logic you can build virtually any system you want. I guess ASP, ASP.NET or PHP will suffice your needs in relation to the systems you want.

I suggest learning XML+XHTML, CSS, SQL, PHP and Javascript. I really suggest you just get a PHP Nuke or something because programming a whole message board and stuff might be beyond your grasp if you are this new to web building.