need to translate html code in Javascript

legolas

From Javascript I do a responseXML-read from a php-script that sends some rawtext that includes the string <br />.It sends in the form of: <keyword><![CDATA[" . $text . "]]></keyword>When it displays on the screen, it is untranslated, that is the <br /> is written, but I want it translated into a line break instead.How do I accomplish this? Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Using DOM I create av 'div' element, style it (absolute position, top, left, height and width) andthen I just append it with document.body.appendChild(mytext);and it displays-------------------------------Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.<br />Vestibulum pharetra pellentesque ligula.<br />Ut dui. -------------------------------but instead I want line breaks converted to read it as-------------------------------Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.Vestibulum pharetra pellentesque ligula.Ut dui. -------------------------------

You have to append each child individually. That's how DOM works:

var A = new Array();A[0] = document.createTextNode("Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.");A[1] = document.createElement("br");A[2] = document.createTextNode("Vestibulum pharetra pellentesque ligula.");A[3] = document.createElement("br");A[4] = document.createTextNode("Ut dui.");var x;for (x=0;x<A.length;x++) {document.body.appendChild(A[x]);}

To clarify, when you append a string to a node it creates a new text node and puts the string into the text node. Text nodes are literal, so if you assign "<br>" to a text node it writes that out as text, it does not get rendered as HTML. You can either create the individual <br> elements like Ingolme mentioned or you can use the innerHTML property to set the text instead of appendChild.

I know, it's quite complicated. So the easy solution is to set it like this:document.body.innerHTML = A stringI don't really like it, because it's not standard, but sometimes there's no other option.

Archived