css z-index background image

djp1988

Hi, is it possible to have 2 background images arranged by z-index? I want a bg image as a img which covers the whole background and a smaller image partly transparent for the top only, is it possible to have 2 bg images tat are arranged by z-index ?I tried and it didn't work but maybe i'm not doing it right...

In order to put two images you need two containers, for example:<div style="width: 500px; height: 200px; background-image: url(file.jpg)"> <div style="width: 500px; height: 200px; background-image: url(file2.jpg)"> </div></div>

The default Z-index is 0, but elements with the same Z-index will be displayed in the order they were loaded, the first ones behind and the last ones in front.

Its true that you cannot have multiple background images, but you can certainly achieve the same effect with some mildly clever markup. The example below illustrates one technique I employ when I want to want to have multiple backgrounds or have transparency on the background but not the underlying content. You can just as easily use image tags rather than divs with backgrounds, but the divs allow you to use the repeat and starting posiiton settings for background images.

<div style="width:400px;height:300px;border:1px solid #CCC; background:top left no-repeat url(BG1.png); margin:auto; margin-top:22px; ">	<div style="position:absolute;width:400px;height:300px;background:top left no-repeat url(BG2.png); filter:alpha(opacity=50);-moz-opacity:.50;opacity:.50"></div>	<div style="position:absolute;width:400px;height:300px;background:top left no-repeat url(BG3.png); filter:alpha(opacity=25);-moz-opacity:.25;opacity:.25"></div>	<div style="position:absolute;width:400px;height:300px;">		{content}	</div></div>

Archived