Reproducing HTML within Javascript

AndrewAK

The folowing is a snippet of an array that reproduces an HTML <a> element. I ran my entire page through the W3C validateor and I get the errors listed at the bottom.

var pausecontent=new Array()pausecontent[0]=("<a href='http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html'>U.S. Department of State</a><p>If you have plans to ride with us to Milwaukee in the Fall, it would be a good time to get your passport application started.</p>")pausecontent[1]=("<a href=''></a><br />Be sure to get your bike checked by a competant mechanic before the new riding season begins. Also be sure to continuously check the tread on your tires. You may need new rubber. ")pausecontent[2]=("<a href=''>Open Link</a> Put some other new information here to fill up the empty space.")

The errors the W3C validateor listed. Line 15, Column 83: document type does not allow element "a" here.…tate.gov/passport/passport_1738.html'>U.S. Department of State</a><p>If you h Line 15, Column 114: document type does not allow element "p" here.….html'>U.S. Department of State</a><p>If you have plans to ride with us to MiThere were 19 errors total. The two listed above are examples of most, if not all of the errors.When I refreshed the page in my browser everything worked fine. The code just didn't validate. So, my question is...What is the correct way to reproduce HTML/XHTML within Javascript?

You can either cut the string so the validator doesn't read an element there, or you can put the javascript within a <![CDATA[ ]]> section. The validator is validating it as markup because your script is probably inline.Here's an example using the CDATA tag:

<script type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[var pausecontent=new Array()pausecontent[0]=("<a href='http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html'>U.S. Department of State</a><p>If you have plans to ride with us to Milwaukee in the Fall, it would be a good time to get your passport application started.</p>")pausecontent[1]=("<a href=''></a><br />Be sure to get your bike checked by a competant mechanic before the new riding season begins. Also be sure to continuously check the tread on your tires. You may need new rubber. ")pausecontent[2]=("<a href=''>Open Link</a> Put some other new information here to fill up the empty space.")//]]></script>

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this one of the reasons why comments added when a <script> is inserted into the <body> section?Ex.

<script type="text/javascript"><!--var pausecontent=new Array()pausecontent[0]=("<a href='http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html'>U.S. Department of State</a><p>If you have plans to ride with us to Milwaukee in the Fall, it would be a good time to get your passport application started.</p>")pausecontent[1]=("<a href=''></a><br />Be sure to get your bike checked by a competant mechanic before the new riding season begins. Also be sure to continuously check the tread on your tires. You may need new rubber. ")pausecontent[2]=("<a href=''>Open Link</a> Put some other new information here to fill up the empty space.")//--></script>

No, people started adding comments to Javascript code when there were still browsers around that didn't understand a script tag and would just print the code out on the page. Those browsers no longer exist so there's not much of a reason to stick an HTML comment inside Javascript or CSS code.

Archived